• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Is this type of lime safe to use?

Migrated topic.

xexplo

Rising Star
Hello everyone, I'm new here and also a noob in DMT extraction art/science.

I've read a lot about the extraction teks here.
Finally decided to go with q21q21 tek 2 (dry extraction using lime and naphtha)

The thing is it's not easy to find food grade lime where I live, I've seen in some posts here that people were suggesting to get lime from ACE hardware shops.

I've found only this one which its photo is attached.

Is it safe to use garden grade lime instead of the food grade ones?

Sorry everyone I know it's a very noob kinda question. But I really couldn't find any strong evidence by searching in the forum.

Thanks for this great place!

Attachments

• DSC_0148.JPG
    DSC_0148.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
So, I wasn't able to find it for that particular brand, but any time you want to know if something is safe to use, a good first place is to check the MSDS. I found one for another brand of garden lime sold in the US
Avertissement de redirection
But I would be careful because regulations concerning quality control in Malaysia may be different than in the US, and as such may contain more impurities. This garden lime only contains crystalline silica which is not known as a direct health hazard except by inhalation of dust. I would try to find the MSDS for your brand by either Google search or going to the store that sold it to you. Unless the law is significantly different where you live they are required to keep that information on chemical products.

Hope this helps you.

Happy travels.

The lime you have wouldnt work.
From the product page
Serbajadi Garden Lime is use to correct soil acidity, especially in high rainfall areas, it contains calcium & magnesium which are important for plant growth.

Its probably not pure Ca(OH)2 so its more than definetly not basic enough to use.

Its definetly no NaOH (Lye) tho.

You can try buying it and dissolving it into water then check ph.

There arent many contaminants that should transfer into the DMT if you "wash" it first.

Basically make a saturated solution. Use COLD water because Ca(OH)2 dissolves better in cold water. Filter off the solids. Let it stand for a day or two. Filter again. Then you could simply boil it down in a resistant pot and use it.

Shadowus said:
So, I wasn't able to find it for that particular brand, but any time you want to know if something is safe to use, a good first place is to check the MSDS. I found one for another brand of garden lime sold in the US
Avertissement de redirection
But I would be careful because regulations concerning quality control in Malaysia may be different than in the US, and as such may contain more impurities. This garden lime only contains crystalline silica which is not known as a direct health hazard except by inhalation of dust. I would try to find the MSDS for your brand by either Google search or going to the store that sold it to you. Unless the law is significantly different where you live they are required to keep that information on chemical products.

Hope this helps you.

Happy travels.

Couldn't find any information online, tried to contact the company, but they didn't really help. Unfortunately regulations are quiet different here. I'll keep contacting them to see if I can get anything out of it.

Thanks for your help and reply.

Ulim said:
The lime you have wouldnt work.
From the product page
Serbajadi Garden Lime is use to correct soil acidity, especially in high rainfall areas, it contains calcium & magnesium which are important for plant growth.

Its probably not pure Ca(OH)2 so its more than definetly not basic enough to use.

Its definetly no NaOH (Lye) tho.

You can try buying it and dissolving it into water then check ph.

There arent many contaminants that should transfer into the DMT if you "wash" it first.

Basically make a saturated solution. Use COLD water because Ca(OH)2 dissolves better in cold water. Filter off the solids. Let it stand for a day or two. Filter again. Then you could simply boil it down in a resistant pot and use it.

Apparently it's Ca(OH)2, but it's not pure.

That's a really easy thing to do, just bought some Ph testing papers, gonna try it as soon as I get them.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Back
Top Bottom