• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

pron shots

Migrated topic.
Flowering continues apace here in sunny Spain.
One species that has given a good floral display is Encephalocarpus strobiliformis - small but beautifully coloured blooms. I started with two of these but now have dozens.

E.strobiliformis1.jpg

E.strobiliformis3.jpg

E.strobiliformis5.jpg

According to some authorities this species is exceptionally difficult - but my guys just keep on doing their sex stuff with no interference at all from me. Just give them a lime rich potting medium in terra cotta pots.

Close ups of Trichocereus santaensis (Mesa) spines.

Supposedly a peruvianas form from the region of Chavin.

Attachments

• SDC10203.JPG
    SDC10203.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • SDC10204.JPG
    SDC10204.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
D.REYx420 said:
do the spines turn black when they get wet?

They're black most of the time. The lighting in those photos doesn't really show it due to reflectivity. (black n gold dress or blue n white :))

They're particularly black when wet.

What brought your question about?

Peace,
wap

I have a bridgesii clone that was labeled "antonio" that looks exactly like that picture except when it rains and all the spines turn black, so I was just wondering if that was the case for your cacti.

Ahhhhhh, I see.

Yeah, these have a white powdery looking coating on them. But you can definitely tell that the spines are black. Indeed, exactly like the "Antonio" spines.

:)
wap

My trichocereus pachanoi flowered today/tonight. I've awaited this today. This was one of the first magic cacti I obtained that I've had for about 4-5 years now. In the past I have seen it approach flowering, developing buds, but then dropping the furry little balls. This is the first I've seen it blossom. It also happens to be exactly a year since a good friend of mine passed, seems like a little wink from the universe hinting his sort-of presence perhaps.
Anyhow, enjoy some photos I captured!

Attachments

• Trichollage.jpg
    Trichollage.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
  • trichstar.jpg
    trichstar.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
@paintings; The flower looks so beautiful, thank you for sharing. I hope mine are going to bloom one day as well, but to do so, I think we (the cacti and me) have to move more close to the equator.

tseuq

Astrophytumcaput-medusae2.jpg

Astrophytumcaput-medusae4.jpg

One that has flowered for the first time - Astrophytum caput-medusae. Grown from seed that I bought about 3 years ago.
This plant was not discovered until 2002 - and still hard to find, although the large, shiny seeds are readily available.

Now here´s an unusual one. This 15 year old L. williamsii was one of the pioneers that travelled with me to Spain on the back seat of my old BMW back in 2001. It flowered as we travelled across France - it was only later that I learnt that France is one of the handful of countries where peyote is illegal !!

It has reached a good size, but unusually for a peyote has never pupped. But now it appears to be cleaving itself into two - it has lost its circular shape and has become distinctly ovoid - with a clear demarcation line forming between the two halves !!!

We never stop learning in the cactus growing business!

CIMG0274.jpg

My four winds Bridgesii. Interestingly this started with 6 ribs and when I rooted it, it dropped 2 ribs. I'm not complaining :lol:

Attachments

• 4winds.jpg
    4winds.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
We are coming up to the time for that slow growing genus Ariocarpus to bloom - here is a double headed Ariocarpus bravoanus in flower.

ariocarpus-bravoanus-in-flower.jpg

And one of her offspring blooming for the first time - now officially an adult !!!

ariocarpus-bravoanus-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom