• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Question of dmt nexus forum language

Migrated topic.
English is not my mother tongue so it's extremely difficult for me to distinguish between different types of "english". It's more a matter of "Can I understand it or not" and "Are there any obvious (grammar) mistakes or not".

The Traveler said:
What are you trying to communicate? :?:

That on the DMT-Nexus many types of English are used?

What I´m trying to say is that nexus is Dutch based site, right? Since members of the forum are from around the globe, what kind of English should I personally use? British, American, Jamaican, slangish?

smokeydaze said:
Yes, I for one second this motion and move for a vote of no-confidence in senator bropus.
Hahahaaaa! I'm not sure if I get this or not, but it did make me laugh!

olibguhl said:
English is not my mother tongue so it's extremely difficult for me to distinguish between different types of "english". It's more a matter of "Can I understand it or not" and "Are there any obvious (grammar) mistakes or not".
Well you write fluently, I didn't realise you weren't English at all. In fact I really can't tell on here if people are foreign or not, you all spell better than the average English person anyway.

Poor old MOP, he just needs some attention 😉

On thys syte we doth prefer if ye wouldst speke ye Olde Englishe dialecte, if thou protestest not! :lol:

Although the logical answer would be International English, which is just English without any slang or regional dialect.
Not many English schools teach people crole etc!
Actually, I think the prevailing dialect here is 'Head English', which is a mixture of American Black slang brought over by the Beatniks, and then a bunch of Hippy words.

Master of plants, I'm not joking when I say that I think you should seek a professional to diagnose if you are sane.
Or are you just a long time troll?

Seriously, most Brits understand written American English, and most Yanks understand written British English. Slang of any kind is generally a bit more alienating. Those who use slang can usually grasp standard English to some sufficient degree (though certainly not always), but it's usually more difficult for those who aren't familiar with a certain demographic's or region's slang or dialect to grasp what's being said in that manner. So obviously some standard form of English would be preferable. Standard languages are something everyone can learn and would benefit from learning, but slang...well...slang is slang.

The site itself is in English, so I would imagine that if someone wanted to discuss things in another language, they would start a site in that particular language.

I'm sorry MOP, but I don't think that it's simply a language barrier that prevents people from understanding you. Your posts are generally short, cryptic, and broad, and yes, your slang or poor English certainly doesn't help this.

tolu said:
Master of plants, I'm not joking when I say that I think you should seek a professional to diagnose if you are sane.
Or are you just a long time troll?

I´ve already said it once. Dark elf high priest.

im glad im not alone...

is english your first language mop?
im not trying to poke fun.. but some (alot) of the posts i see from you are generally irrelevant and confusing if not right out crazy and nonsensical

do you just do it to see what people will say...
does it all make sense to you? iv had friends tripping out thinking they were talking and just spewing gibberish... this is often what i dismiss your posts as, your trying to say something but the words dont come out right

Master of plants said:
OK, we all know for succesful communicating here on forum we must use English. But there is many many, many kinds of English. Amglish, Jamglish, slang? Traveler?
Y'awrite pal, whit one needs tae dae tae geev ya a wee shake, aye matey?

Naebody would geev ya grief if ya ken whit ya rittin oon the boards. Eef eet wasnae for standard eenglis naebody wuld understand each other!

psychosisdoses said:
im glad im not alone...

im not trying to poke fun.. but some (alot) of the posts i see from you are generally irrelevant and confusing if not right out crazy and nonsensical

does it all make sense to you? iv had friends tripping out thinking they were talking and just spewing gibberish... this is often what i dismiss your posts as, your trying to say something but the words dont come out right

Sincerely, isn´t.

Infundibulum said:
Master of plants said:
OK, we all know for succesful communicating here on forum we must use English. But there is many many, many kinds of English. Amglish, Jamglish, slang? Traveler?

Naebody would geev ya grief if ya ken whit ya rittin oon the boards. Eef eet wasnae for standard eenglis naebody wuld understand each other!

Welsh!

amor_fati said:
Seriously, most Brits understand written American English, and most Yanks understand written British English. Slang of any kind is generally a bit more alienating. Those who use slang can usually grasp standard English to some sufficient degree (though certainly not always), but it's usually more difficult for those who aren't familiar with a certain demographic's or region's slang or dialect to grasp what's being said in that manner. So obviously some standard form of English would be preferable. Standard languages are something everyone can learn and would benefit from learning, but slang...well...slang is slang.

The site itself is in English, so I would imagine that if someone wanted to discuss things in another language, they would start a site in that particular language.

I'm sorry MOP, but I don't think that it's simply a language barrier that prevents people from understanding you. Your posts are generally short, cryptic, and broad, and yes, your slang or poor English certainly doesn't help this.

Poor English? R. U. Sirius?

ohayoco said:
smokeydaze said:
Yes, I for one second this motion and move for a vote of no-confidence in senator bropus.
Hahahaaaa! I'm not sure if I get this or not, but it did make me laugh!

olibguhl said:
Well you write fluently, I didn't realise you weren't English at all. In fact I really can't tell on here if people are foreign or not, you all spell better than the average English person anyway.

Poor old MOP, he just needs some attention 😉

Ouch!

Master of plants said:
psychosisdoses said:
im glad im not alone...

Sincerely, isn´t.

does this mean it is not your first language..
what was/is your first language (just curious)

Master of plants said:
Infundibulum said:
Master of plants said:

Welsh!
Yawr wrang!

Back
Top Bottom