• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Site Quirks topic

The Traveler

The Moxylator
Staff member
Admin
Donator
Due to me tightening the security of the server plus platform, it might happen that at times certain functionality will not perform the way as expected.

For example; for a short time today, conversations that were send to people with push notifications switched on would give an error (while the message was still send).

If anything weird catches your eye then please let me know in this topic!

Kind regards,

The Traveler

I have had a couple of scroll and refresh freezes, I had to close the tab and reopen the site to allow restored function.

Basically, after visiting a specific thread and then returning to the main page I see something related to the thread I just visited in the address bar and the whole page refuses to scroll or refresh. It happened today once and a couple of times last week or so.

I have had a couple of scroll and refresh freezes, I had to close the tab and reopen the site to allow restored function.

Basically, after visiting a specific thread and then returning to the main page I see something related to the thread I just visited in the address bar and the whole page refuses to scroll or refresh. It happened today once and a couple of times last week or so.
Did not hear about that one before.

What browser and OS are you using where this happens on?

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Vivaldi and a version of Unbuntu 18.

I am unable to trigger the effect deliberately so far.
It doesn't significantly impact my experience because I can remedy it with the aforementioned method.
I have not experienced it with any other site.

It hardly matters, I likely won't be around for much longer anyway.

Vivaldi and a version of Unbuntu 18.
If other users of this specific combination can state if they have the same issue I might be able to look further.

It hardly matters, I likely won't be around for much longer anyway.
Oh dear, what makes you say such a thing? I hope that you are in good health.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Posts in "Through the Looking Glass" don't seem to appear in latest posts. This was something I noticed a few days ago.
That is something that has always been the case, also on the old forum.

The reasoning behind it is that they are often about pseudoscience topics, and since we like to keep a scientific mindset here...

Kind regards,

The Traveler

One thing I noticed is today my notifications tray was full with 30+ notifications for replies to ancient threads, in which the latest reply was 3+ years ago. Not sure what caused this, but just something to keep an eye on. View attachment 96772

Yesterday I did the following:

After some time a member on the old forum send me a PM that they were not migrated to the new platform. 😲

After some analyzing I found out that users that had never interacted with their profile before a certain date were not migrated!

Quick work was done to fix that, so we now have about 5k+ members, ~1.5k topics and ~3.5k posts extra on this new platform. 🤗

And, as a side result a lot of people now got some extra alerts due to the added topics and posts. You can mark them all as read in one go, or... check out some lovely old posts. :)

Kind regards,

The Traveler

What a bizarre edge case, huh? Anyway, glad to hear you found the cause and migrated those people. The more, the merrier!
What is even more bizarre is that I'm still missing a few users and that means more analyzing. 🤪

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Last edited:
Yesterday I did the following:

After some time a member on the old forum send me a PM that they were not migrated to the new platform. 😲

After some analyzing I found out that users that had never interacted with their profile before a certain date were not migrated!

Quick work was done to fix that, so we now have about 5k+ members, ~1.5k topics and ~3.5k posts extra on this new platform. 🤗

And, as a side result a lot of people now got some extra alerts due to the added topics and posts. You can mark them all as read in one go, or... check out some lovely old posts. :)

Kind regards,

The Traveler
This really got me going for a moment, when I got a notification that tregar had posted. It made me think that he'd been unbanned because of the migration and had crawled back out of the woodwork! 🤣
Fortunately, a moment's perusal showed me that it was merely a migration related phenomenon, with no involvement from that particular buffoon.

It was nice to look back at some of the old posts, indeed.

PS I'm still not getting emojis menu on Firefox mobile but that's very minor since I have keyboard emojis anyhow. Edit: see below, turns out I can be a bit dim sometimes :oops:

Last edited:
This really got me going for a moment, when I got a notification that tregar had posted. It made me think that he'd been unbanned because of the migration and had crawled back out of the woodwork! 🤣
The fun part is that suspended people cannot login to the old site (they are suspended right?), so they cannot retrieve their password for this new platform. 😏

It was nice to look back at some of the old posts, indeed.
For me it really is a trip in memory lane, quite fun to read those old posts and often funny stuff!

PS I'm still not getting emojis menu on Firefox mobile but that's very minor since I have keyboard emojis anyhow.
I guess that is due to the CDN where these emoji's come from and you might be blocking that somehow?

Let me check if I can make them locally sourced...

EDIT: I changed it to local and it should now also be working for you. 🤗

Kind regards,

The Traveler

It's no big deal, I got native keyboard emojis (and don't wanna sound like a millennial or sthg) but it used to work, and thinking about when it stopped that was probably around the time I fiddled with some no java settings 🤔

The real quirk to report is, with the forum running as an app in firefox, specifically pdf's fail to open unless I subsequently choose "view in desktop" from the options button (three dots). Probably all shonky my end but seems worthy of mentioning.

The real quirk to report is, with the forum running as an app in firefox, specifically pdf's fail to open unless I subsequently choose "view in desktop" from the options button (three dots). Probably all shonky my end but seems worthy of mentioning.
To me that seems like a FireFox issue. You might try another mobile browser to install it as an app? (remove the app first before you reinstall again from another browser)

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Not sure if that's intended, and whether I'm just a dummy or not, but I can't seem to change the tags of a thread/post I've made once it's been created.
You can edit your topic/post for three days now as a normal member. Does this also apply to that?

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Back
Top Bottom