• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

"Soy boy" - a case study of how the meat and dairy industries weaponized a meme for profit

This is something I've observed in my country a lot. Most people will almost always buy the darker yolked eggs even though in reality the chickens that laid them are kept in the exact same way as all others, but their feed is colored orange, and the price of these eggs is 50% higher.

It's insane that people fall for this kind of thing, but again it comes down to ignorance and laziness to do one's own research.

Baking grains darker to make them appear "more whole grain" is insane though, NL beats BG on this one :ROFLMAO:
I don't mind lutein supplementation for chicken feed, since that's largely what makes egg yolks yellow anyhow, and it can obtained from flowers. It's a carotenoid that plays some role in human physiology too.

@The Traveler - I'd love to see some specific evidence for this grain roasting claim. How does that square up against EU food regulations?
 
I don't mind lutein supplementation for chicken feed, since that's largely what makes egg yolks yellow anyhow, and it can obtained from flowers. It's a carotenoid that plays some role in human physiology too.

@The Traveler - I'd love to see some specific evidence for this grain roasting claim. How does that square up against EU food regulations?
Lookup 'Moutbrood'.

It makes the bread look darker, though has no change in nutritional value.



Kind regards,

The Traveler
 
Last edited:
Malt bread is a type of bread that is baked with the middle of the grain and to which extra wheat fibre has been added. The malt bread is so named because it is baked from flour from malted grain

Een moutbrood is net zo gezond als een tarwebrood alleen bevat het geen zogenoemde "pitjes" omdat slechts het middelste van de graankorrel wordt gebruikt en de kiemen worden weggelaten.
Gotchya (y)
 
Making your own bread is a very underrated skill.
Even if you can't grow your own food, at the very least cook with raw materials.
It's sad to watch a modern generation who are clueless about basic stuff.
It's not going to get better with AI dominance and no incentive to think for yourself.
🙏
 
Last edited:
Making your own bread is a very underrated skill.
Even if you can't grow your own food, at the very least cook with raw materials.
It's sad to watch a modern generation who are clueless about basic stuff.
It's not going to get better with AI dominance and no incentive to think for yourself.
🙏
On that line, I'm trying to retrain my disgust reaction to food that has become partly spoiled. This is not a good idea with all types of food, but for example fruit is often partially spoiled and moldy, and just removing that part makes it perfectly fine to eat. I suppose this is obvious to many people, but I have been conditioned to think that such foods have always "gone bad" and throw them away.

I'm also trying to retrain my disgust reaction so it doesn't get easily triggered by uncommon foods that are still perfectly fine. I'm not a picky eater at all, but eating certain foods that aren't common in my culture is still difficult for me. For example, this happens with grasshoppers. So I've been sometimes capturing a decent amount of grasshoppers and following a recipe to fry them. They taste very good, but something in my mind often wants to reject them. So I think it's a good training to eat them from time to time and weaken that overly restrictive part of my mind.

Linking this to the original topic of the thread, a meme somewhat close to the soyboy meme has been the "eat the bugs" meme, where the passing of laws allowing certain insects to be considered foodstuffs in the EU is presented as a plan to force people to eat only "bugs" instead of meat. I haven't looked closely into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the meat industry was partly behind it as well, together with certain political organizations.
 
Last edited:
This is a great article. Thank you for sharing.
We make our own soy milk and I drink it daily for breakfast in an overnight oats concoction with plant based protein added. We have a small machine that makes the milk from dried soybeans and water. We add a little honey for flavor. I find it delicious and am proud to say that I can start every day in a vegan way. My typical lunch of PB&J keeps me vegetarian until dinner. Then I eat what I am served at family time.

My son came home from college with this Soy Boy myth recently. I am working on "de-programming" him. I look forward to sharing this information with him.
Thank you again @Nydex for posting this. Your writing skills are outstanding.
 
Last edited:
Interestingly, my son came home from college with this Soy Boy myth and I am working on "de-programming" him. I look forward to sharing this information with him.
Thank you again @Nydex for posting this. Your writing skills are outstanding.
Thank you dearly, friend <3 It's not uncommon for youth to grow attached to certain fallacies when they're imposed so heavily upon them from the environment, which is usually enslaved to the zeitgeist. I wish you good luck with educating your son on this and getting him on the soy train :)
 
By way of, er, heartenment (it's a word as of now!) my own eldest child is ahead of the curve on this, even as far as noticing it's only the USA (as usual) that uses the term "soy" whereas virtually everyone else calls it "soya" one way or another ;)

Now, here's a particularly egregious example of a grifter and likely meat industry shill being critiqued by the moderately hilarious foul-mouthed reactionary known as Sir Sic:

Apparently the character in the video got into the grift via MLM supplement pushing, if the comments are to be trusted (ahem).
 
By way of, er, heartenment (it's a word as of now!) my own eldest child is ahead of the curve on this, even as far as noticing it's only the USA (as usual) that uses the term "soy" whereas virtually everyone else calls it "soya" one way or another ;)

Now, here's a particularly egregious example of a grifter and likely meat industry shill being critiqued by the moderately hilarious foul-mouthed reactionary known as Sir Sic:

Apparently the character in the video got into the grift via MLM supplement pushing, if the comments are to be trusted (ahem).
True, it's called soya (spelled "соя") here as well. Also, that templar dude is hilarious :ROFLMAO: I'm not even going to comment on the absolute idiocy of the narrative this woman is pushing forward. Just entertaining these ideas is an insult to intelligence itself.
 
The carnivore-vegan topic is a good indicator of a person's IQ. I can only wish you happiness on your life journey.
 
The carnivore-vegan topic is a good indicator of a person's IQ. I can only wish you happiness on your life journey.
I want to explore further what exactly do you mean with that statement. Which aspects of this topic are a good indicator of a person's IQ, and why?
 
True, it's called soya (spelled "соя") here as well. Also, that templar dude is hilarious :ROFLMAO: I'm not even going to comment on the absolute idiocy of the narrative this woman is pushing forward. Just entertaining these ideas is an insult to intelligence itself.
It's deliberately highly polarised, as an attempt to market to the, uhm, uninformed. Vested interests (like big tinnitus :ROFLMAO: ) will have taken an interest in this.

Sir Sic is pretty funny in small doses.
 
Maltbread also has a more bitter taste because of the roasting. I recently was able to compare two buns that where nearly identical, except from the coloration.

In my view, the bitterness is not really an improvement.

I think maybe it is done because people associate it with rye, because it is way too dark to look like wholewheat bread actually. It can almost be as dark as roasted coffeebeans.
 
It has been a bit more than one year since I started consuming more soy, mostly in the form of soy protein isolate. I just had my yearly health examination done and have the results, which I have compared with the same results from 12 months ago.

Overall I'm healthier, with a few small caveats. In terms of physical health, I've lost nearly 8% of body fat and am sitting at 82kg of lean mass from 100kg of total mass. Muscularity and definition have improved dramatically, and I'm currently sitting at 16.7% body fat, with the end goal being to reach 12% body fat and a total mass of 95kg.

To summarize the 12-month changes in my blood/urine markers:
  • Lipid Profile: HDL cholesterol saw a significant and healthy increase (from 1.11 to 1.86 mmol/l). Triglycerides dropped by half (0.94 to 0.46 mmol/l). LDL remains slightly elevated (3.45 to 3.39 mmol/l), and Total Cholesterol nudged up slightly (5.21 to 5.37 mmol/l).
  • Liver Enzymes: ALAT (ALT) increased from normal (25.98 U/l) to high (49.5 U/l). ASAT (AST) also increased (28.29 to 37.4 U/l) but remains within the normal range.
  • Thyroid: TSH increased from normal-high (4.08 µIU/ml) to slightly out of range (4.47 µIU/ml). Free T3 and T4 remained normal.
  • Inflammation Markers: Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR) decreased significantly from 15 mm/h to a very low and optimal 2 mm/h.
  • White Blood Cell Profile: Consistent pattern of mildly low Neutrophils and high Lymphocytes. However, the ratio slightly improved in 2026 (Neutrophil count increased from 1.3 to 1.48; Lymphocyte percentage dropped from 54% to 48.2%).
  • Vitamin D: Decreased somewhat from 42.97 to 34.19 ng/ml, though it remains well within the normal range (above 30 ng/ml). Supplementation of Vitamin D will be applied during the darker winter months that are coming.
  • Urine: Slightly more acidic (pH dropped from 6.0 to 5.0) and specific gravity increased slightly (1.010 to 1.020).
  • Testosterone: Remained highly stable with a marginal increase (12.28 to 12.65 nmol/l).
Attached is the full report in PDF form for reference. Analyzing the results in the context of me having switched from moderate effort resistance training to very high effort profile in the last 2-3 months, I have a few ideas about why some of the values might be slightly outside of the optimal ranges.

Transaminase Elevation
The structural damage linked to training to absolute muscular failure increases muscle membrane permeability. Both ALAT and ASAT are found in high concentrations in skeletal muscle, not solely in the liver. Intense resistance training routinely causes these enzymes to leak into the bloodstream for up to 7 days post-exercise. Because my GGT remains entirely normal at 17 U/I, this isolates the transaminase elevation as a highly likely byproduct of muscular microtrauma.

Thyroid Axis Modulation
Whole-body training taken to 0-1 RIR imposes a massive allostatic load on the central nervous system and peripheral physiology. The hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis can respond to chronic, high-intensity physical stress by slightly altering output. Therefore, an elevated TSH can manifest as a compensatory mechanism to drive thyroid hormone production to meet systemic recovery and metabolic demands, or it can reflect a transient stress response to localized tissue repair.

Metabolic and Lipid Adaptations
High-effort, to-failure training significantly enhances skeletal muscle metabolic efficiency and mitochondrial function. The extreme energetic demand of these sessions accelerates the clearance of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins from the bloodstream, directly explaining the 50% drop in my triglycerides to 0.46 mmol/l. Simultaneously, this type of metabolic conditioning stimulates the production of HDL cholesterol (increased to 1.86 mmol/l) to facilitate reverse cholesterol transport. This also explains the drop in my ESR, as the systemic adaptation resulting from switching to this method of training lowers baseline circulating inflammatory cytokines.

I might be wrong on any (or all) of the above, but just to be sure, I will do another bloodwork after 3 months to further confirm whether this is a transient state or something I need to look further into. In any case, I believe adding more soy to my diet has had a very positive effect, and fully intend to continue using soy protein isolate as a good source of additional protein.
 

Attachments

Overall I'm healthier, with a few small caveats. In terms of physical health, I've lost nearly 8% of body fat and am sitting at 82kg of lean mass from 100kg of total mass. Muscularity and definition have improved dramatically, and I'm currently sitting at 16.7% body fat, with the end goal being to reach 12% body fat and a total mass of 95kg.
I hadn't yet read this. "Healthy" is an understatement, again congrats on all the hard work, it's not easy to reach those levels.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to reach 12% body fat?
 
I assume there were more changes than eating more soy! Congratulations on getting healthier :)
Indeed. Perhaps the biggest one has been getting an underdesk threadmill that I do 10,000 steps on every day. Beyond burning an extra couple of hundred calories, walking in general is quite healthy, not the least because of the lymphatic drainage it offers.
I hadn't yet read this. "Healthy" is an understatement, again congrats on all the hard work, it's not easy to reach those levels.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to reach 12% body fat?
Thanks brother, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. The hardest part was in the beginning while I was still trying to figure out how to eat and workout properly to achieve my goals.

The 12% number is not set in stone. There is no specific goal beyond wanting to be in good shape and perhaps challenging myself. I've never been this lean in my adult life so I want to try it out and see how it makes me feel. I know for a fact that being very lean has tremendous drawbacks in terms of energy and how one feels, but it's still something I want to give a go and see for myself.
 
Back
Top Bottom