Yes kratom is addictive. But yes it also has built in addiction disruptors as well as a ceiling effect similar to the opiates given to rehab patients thanks to it's opioid antagonistic effects. Plain leaf has built in deterrents for the abuse that can be had with isolated opiates and the poppy plant. Combined with the rhynchophylline content found in the leaf (an anti-addictive NMDA antagonist also found in cat's claw) it is a very good tool for those living with chronic pain and an ever greater tool at helping people leave the world of isolated opiates. It is only when the compounds are split up from their intricate relationships with one another that kratom can become as dangerous as strong opiates. So yes, I do believe it is very important for harm reduction reasons to have these tests done. Like I said if money is an issue I can talk to a few of the interested people in the community I know and I am sure they would be able to chip some money in to have a test done.
I personally use kratom once through twice a week and have no problem at all with taking month long breaks. The stimulating varieties of kratom also served as a great tool for helping me keep up with my former friends who went down the drain thanks to mephedrone. I have even had a spiritual experience on kratom one time that I would say was nothing short of being as influential to my life as DMT itself. I am of the firm belief that nature is our friend. I am not saying that every plant is safe, but I do believe in plant intelligence, and have much respect for the evolved plants that carry with them the molecules of consciousness, especially higher order indoles such as tryptamines.
Thank you for the apt analogy Indundibulum. I found myself hooked on speed for a portion of my life thinking it was MDMA because of the same selfish reasons of people lacing product. I have a bit of a vendetta towards actions such as this you could say and would like to protect others from the same thing happening to them.
I would not come here and ask for such a favor unless I was confident that it has the real potential to significantly help many different people. Thank you.
@endlessness
The impurities would most likely be artifacts from synthesis, which the common reagent is lead tetra acetete although there are other methods, I can find them out the information is public just buried. I doubt the mainstream vendors are using O-Desmethyl Tramadol as synthetic 7-ho-mitragynine would be much harder to expose as a lace. There is also an intermediate )7-acetoxy-mitragynine) that would most likely be present as well. This intermediate is not present in plant synthesized 7-ho-mitragynine. Their is another method using a fluoride analogue and one other using another metal, I can't remember exactly but I will dig around and find out. Is it possible to detect heavy metal impurities down to ppm? I tried to do this myself with a heavy metal tester but the strips were not quality enough to detect anything, then again perhaps the leaf I tested was all legitimate. I imagine the quality of the test kit impeded accurate results to be honest though.
We do not know what products caused the hospitalizations but several vendors are supplying extracts and isolates to headshops so we would start with the major suppliers.
Yes, I do believe testing could prevent the illegality of this herb. There are two major forums where the main kratom vendors do their business, and these forums have strict rules to try and prevent this regulation from happening. If they find out that their approved vendors are doing something as shady as this, I would be of the opinion that those vendors would be given an ultimatum, to either stop, or be removed from the community and exposed. This testing would be the first vital step, the next is our responsibility, and that is to boycott the vendors providing any sort of product to the headshop/legal high community. We think we can prevent the government regulating our herb if we regulate it ourselves in a sense.