• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

What scale do you use?

Migrated topic.

Chaos

Rising Star
SWIM is almost done with preparations to perform his first extraction( -many thanks to this forum). SWIM has realized a good-quality scale is the biggest (and possibly most important) investment of this process and is wondering if anyone has recommendations before he blows 200 on one.

hello,

please could anybody help with:

i bought some aws 20 scales, but the 10g calibration weight weighs 10.030 g (?).

the calibration weight looks very cheap and chromed or something however:

can anybody help with if i should calibrate the scales to 10g "using the cheap looking weight" or if 10.030g may infact be an accurate reading ?

thankyou.

can anybody help with my .030 problem ?

bit of a head scratch as 30mg differntial maybe too much potentially (?).

does anybody know when you tare; does that calibrate the scale ? OR "reset" the scale to pre-calibrated setting ? (i.e. maybe +/- 30mg for me ?) the "10g" weight is about the cheapeast looking piece in the set.

sorry for being pedantic.

regards.

No cheap milligram scale is going to be incredibly accurate below 20mg. There are things you can do to increase accuracy. Allow the scale to 'warm up' for 5-10 seconds after turning it on before putting anything on it. Use the included weights to calibrate it before use. Finally, it's going to be most accurate at about half its capacity, so after calibrating, put one of the 10g weights on the weighing tray, then the included bowl in addition to the weight.

Note: With some scales it is best to not tare it, but rather add whatever you're weighing to the total of the bowl and calibration weight (substract the start weight in your head or use a calculator). Hope this helps.

thankyou for the reply gordo ...they should REALLY be accurate to .001

the scales are more "precision looking" then the chromed weight i think so i am just going to have to concede to take them as "accurate".

i think the calibration weight is maybe for less sensitive scales that will round off to the nerest .something / was just bundled inside from the factory etc.

...either that or i am leaving .20mg to the gods / thankyou foer your help.

dimitrius_rexus said:
SWIM has used that scale in the past but prefers the AWS Gemini-20 mainly due to its removable weighing tray which makes it significantly harder to damage. The cover also works much better as a wind guard on the gemini-20.

SWIM needs to roll in a new scale as the gemini is getting old and bruised. looking at another gemini as they are still very cheap

Agree, Gemini-20 is great for a cheap digital scale, saw it recently new for $18 on ebay, the seller had sold hundreds of them with very high feedback.

GordoTEK said:
dimitrius_rexus said:
SWIM has used that scale in the past but prefers the AWS Gemini-20 mainly due to its removable weighing tray which makes it significantly harder to damage. The cover also works much better as a wind guard on the gemini-20.

SWIM needs to roll in a new scale as the gemini is getting old and bruised. looking at another gemini as they are still very cheap

Agree, Gemini-20 is great for a cheap digital scale, saw it recently new for $18 on ebay, the seller had sold hundreds of them with very high feedback.

~$20. The Gemini-20 is really worth it. I bought mine almost a decade ago and it always works very well. Unfortunately, I had to change the batteries it shipped with a year or so ago... so maybe it really isn't worth it :)
But seriously, My only gripe is that sometimes the automatic shutoff is too quick for my slowpoke machinations.

Mister_Niles said:
My only gripe is that sometimes the automatic shutoff is too quick for my slowpoke machinations.
QFT. It's so annoying. My Diablo is so damn trigger happy in the shutoff department that I have to keep poking it every 5 seconds to make sure it doesn't doze off.

I'm looking out for a replacement mg scale after my last set died. Batteries leaked :oops: :thumb_dow:
Benzymes link at the top of this page may well be the direction I'll be taking.

I just came to this thread to read a little before I bought a scale. The one I've always liked the look of in pictures on the Nexus is the AWS Gemini 20. I just didn't know what it was called before now. I just bought one on Amazon for under $30, shipped free. No more eyeballing doses for this guy.

Hey everyone,

just upping that thread in case someone found a good price/quality ratio scale...
Cause mine is giving me headaches. The other day, I put the little cup on it and it oscillated on its own +/- 10mg! How does one dose a trip with something that unstable?!

But real good scales are SUPER expensive. So I keep wondering how must of you guys do it...

also, the AWS Gem 20 seems to be doing the job, I found it here at 60 bucks, but also found what seems to be the exact same balance, just not branded AWS, for 20 bucks : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B078BC6876/ref=dp_cerb_3

Intezam said:
A301-4.jpg

We also use this one. What is that hole with that foam ring for? Anyone knows?

The hole is for the second 10g scale. My original purchase didn't have that black box for holding things. Weird that it comes with two weights, but only one hole.

most scales are fine from my experience, even cheap chinese ones.
i find the most common problem with scales is that people do not know how to calibrate them and most people do not even know it is necessary.

i have a cheap chinese set and they work perfectly as long as i calibrate them before every use and after 3-5 uses at once.

calibration calibration calibration

Back
Top Bottom