• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

What scale do you use?

Migrated topic.

Chaos

Rising Star
SWIM is almost done with preparations to perform his first extraction( -many thanks to this forum). SWIM has realized a good-quality scale is the biggest (and possibly most important) investment of this process and is wondering if anyone has recommendations before he blows 200 on one.

Wolf, that adequately takes you out of ghetto style :)

Mine below.
TARE doesn't respond well, just OFF and ON to simulate that.

Attachments

• scale.JPG
    scale.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
Wolf, that adequately takes you out of ghetto style Smile

Mine below.
TARE doesn't respond well, just OFF and ON to simulate that.

I always do this I start looking at small and cheap and before I know it I've bought big and expensive. Still I got a great price for it! Seems to work pretty damned well so far though is sometimes a milligram or half out. I can live with that!

I need to get a tray for it though as I cant be doling out powders onto it. My last jewellery scale at the end of its long life span was full of kratom!

That glass box it's built in is actually there to protect it from dust! A well-made and very heavy machine though not exactly something you can take on holiday with ya. Still wouldnt ever take spice outside anyhoo!

How about those scales of yours are they accurate?

Funny that I can be geeking out this hard over scales!

That greenhouse on yours protect from dust indeed, but also serves as a wind shield, against blows to not interfere while weighting. A constant wind draft could do that, really.

I think we can geek over anything, it's one of those curious conditions humans have.
The feature serves us and kills us, makes us laugh over this and slaughter over that.
Scales are pretty harmless in that regard, you've chosen an innocent drool right here :)

Oh I'm fine with this 50$ scale of mine, simply love it 😉
Big back light digits, sure worth a tiny of drool.
My previous 15$ one became a little un-trustful after a while.

But have no doubt dear Wolf, I sure bow for your space ship masterpiece :want:

But have no doubt dear Wolf, I sure bow for your space ship masterpiece Drool

Lol and well you might good sir!

The 'greenhouse' does indeed protect it from wind and if you close the doors the accuracy actually increases! Well that is after the scale recovers from the turbulence created by closing the greenhouse!

Really makes you realize just how sensitive it is to just about anything. If I put my hand on the table the scale is sitting on it starts moving.

What price bracket are trustworthy scales in?

I ask, as i currently have some 0.001g scales that recently were ~50mg out..
Needless to say, those scales are dangerous for use with psychoactives.

None of the brands on amazon really inspire confidence, i've heard even the Gemini which is expensive and well regarded - gets inaccurate after some time.
I'd ideally like to be able to measure accurately to the 0.1mg, but that'd probably cost around £800.. So what's the safe middle-ground? 1mg reading, with +/- 2-3mg repeat-ability?
cheers,

So I ended up getting a Chinese manufactured "analytical balance". If you search for U.S. solid analytical balance you will find them. Though the one I got is an unbranded version of the same scale for $30 less. For $75 its not bad. It is precise in that it consistently weighs the same amount with out deviating to much. It seems pretty accurate when weighing a couple of calibration weights. It also excepts a DC power cord. On the down side its kind of bulky. I think its a decent scale for the price when looking at mg scales.

I use an RC564 mg scale...seems to be very accurate, and came with calibration weights as well. I'd recommend to a friend, paid $60 for mine locally...but I've seen them on Amazon for around $25 if Im not mistaken.

Just as a potential option for some people.
E.g. I live in an area where there is a lot of chemical industry. They obviously have a lot of scales, and usually they replace them every 10-15 years.
So there is potential for older professional scales at a very low price (for what you get).
You just have to inform yourself, where they do sell the old ones.
Usually they sell them in bulk to another company, which then sells these individually.

The good thing is also that these scales were regularly revisioned by the manufacturer.

E.g. where I live, you get a professional Mettler scale (accuracy 0.1mg or better) for $200-300. I know still maybe a lot for many people here. But I bought one, as I plan to dose some 5-MeO-DMT. And the scale I bought on amazon before, was just way too inaccurate (although it is a mg scale, it has an accuracy of +/-5mg)
For example, my good one, for which I paid $250, has an accuracy of +/-20ug (yes, ug, not mg)
Lol, when I think about it, I could almost dose pure LSD with it...

I just picked up a American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 because the last scale I got was horrible. I love this one! It has an error of less than 5mg and it's only $25 bucks. I'm super happy with it. Unless you're weighing pure lsd, there's no point to dropping mad money on a scale just so you can get the accuracy down to the microgram.

Unless you're weighing pure lsd, there's no point to dropping mad money on a scale just so you can get the accuracy down to the microgram.

Lol, the LSD was just a joke. Nobody would weigh LSD powder for a single dose... :lol:

But as said, I personally encountered a problem trying to weigh 5-MeO-DMT. For that, IMHO you really need a scale on which you can trust that it properly weighs the mg.

I'm still wondering if there wouldn't be a pure mechanical balance option with mg weights as counterweights. Anybody knows? That could probably be made cheap and very accurate.

mg from a mechanical balance? maybe the old-school mettlers or sartorius with overhead pan, but definitely not a triple-beam ohaus, those are sensitive to 0.1g. To accurately weigh out single milligrams, you're going to spend 300+ for a generic chinese analytical balance, and 500+ for a reliable analytical balance; and in that price range, it's a steal. Anything from the big three, Mettler, Sartorius, and Ohaus, will cost thousands. A coworker of mine got a US Solid for $479, it has 0.1mg resolution, and can accurately weigh single mg's; has a 1-yr warranty. I dropped $700 on mine, an A&D HR-120, it has a 5-yr warranty. When I dispensed 10 uL DI water from a 25 uL Hamilton syringe into a weigh boat, it registered 0.0095 g; there was likely some residual water in the tip.
by the weigh... the US Solid and A&D balances are based on this design US20130161103.pdf

for most purposes, an analytical balance is overkill, and a $40 AMW balance with 0.001g resolution, like the one in the middle, suffices.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
mg from a mechanical balance?

I rather thought something like a small cord balance. But I surely don't know if this is feasible in the mg ranges. Probably not, as it seems.
I remembered such a little cord balance from a friend of mine weighing his stuff, but that was certainly not in the mg range.

I spent something like 20 $ from amazon for mine, and it seems to weigh 10mg of DMT accurately enough, based on the effects I feel.

Of course they're unlikely really 10 mg, but if the user's purpose is just smoalking and he/she hasn't to do precise lab work I really think it's acceptable.

I use an AWS-100 which out of necessity paid $25.00 for and then saw them on ebay for like $8.00.Accurate scale for a budget although I prefer the AWS Gemini-20 for mg.I am getting another one of those.

Back
Top Bottom