Pup Tentacle said:
There was a guy in "DMT: The Spirit Molecule", Graham Hancock - he's a writer. He said something I found extra-interesting that I think relates to your point. I'll paraphrase because I don't remember the exact quote. He said that our culture ONLY values clear, problem-solving states of consciousness and denounces as wrong states of consciousness that do not conform to that model.
Let me help out: I wrote this all down myself and made a quote:
"Our society values alert problem solving consciousness. And it devalues all other states of consciousness. Any kind of consciousness that is not related to the production or consumption of material goods is stigmatized in our society today. Of course we accept drunkenness. We allow people some brief respite from the material grind.
A society that subscribes to that model is a society that is going to condemn the states of consciousness that have nothing to do with the alert problem solving mentality.
And if you go back to the 1960's when there was a tremendous upsurge of exploration of psychedelics , I would say that the huge backlash that followed that had to do with a fear on the part of the powers that be, that if enough people went into those realms and those experiences the very fabric of the society that we have today would be picked apart and most importantly, those in power at the top would not be in power at the top anymore."
-- Graham Hancock, interviewed in 'DMT: The Spirit Molecule' (documentary)
So, having taken that DMT, society now brands you, "drugged-out", or a "junky" or just "imbalanced". By merely experiencing DMT or acid or shrooms, just once, our culture is such that you, your ideas, your feelings, your truths, can now be dismissed part and parcel. You will be made an example of to scare the masses away from the evil psychedelics that, when shown side by side with our western "deny or destroy that pesky soul and grab as much material wealth as you can" mentality, obviously is only for crazy, wrong-minded folks.
Quote the Raven, I mean Hancock:
"The way that the drug issue has been cast in our society up to now, it's been cast particularly by the media and by politicians, as a totally frivolous, worthless, lightweight recreational pursuit."
This from an interview for 'Know Drugs'. Hancock is evolving into a new McKenna sort of man and a personal hero of mine. I just received his book 'Supernatural' which I plan to start reading today.
This man is a quote machine. As I watch him on youtube I pause and write these gems. He is eloquent and I could keep transcribing what he says but you have to be compact when you make quotes. You see a man here that already had an open mind about the lost history of our species and who, because of this openess took Ayahuasca and Ibogaine (and who knows what) and came out transformed and openly vocal about anti-drug policies.
My favorite quote:
"If I as an individual am not sovereign over my own consciousness, if I cannot decide what to do with my consciousness which is the heart of my being, than I am not free. And I need not talk about freedom or living in a free society or such issues as democracy if my society will not allow me to explore my own consciousness."
This started me off into realizing my most intimate, precious and principal human right has been taken away, the right to be who I want to be, which is the result of experiencing your own awareness in the way you see fit.
And if I ever have to appear in a court of law, this will be my defense all the way to the European court of justice.