• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Why you should NOT take DMT

Migrated topic.
Uncle Knucles said:
I appreciate the post, Vovin, and agree with it completely. I worry at times that we may be contributing to overly casual experimentation. From my own experience I can say that (for me) this thing does come with a price. I can't turn off the things I've seen. They are with me all the time.

Agreed. I started getting interested in DMT many years ago while I was still a teenager and I'm so glad I waited to try it. It has certainly changed who I am and my outlook on life. This isn't a bad thing, but I can see it being negative for some people. The problem is lots of people think they are able to handle anything but you can't possibly understand what DMT is capable of until you try it, and at that point it might be to late because you can't unsee these things. It is amazing how much an experience not even 10 minutes long can change the direction of your life. This stuff should not be taken lightly and if a person is looking for a strictly recreational experience they may be in for a surprise. This stuff goes much deeper than people realize.

For me it has become a creative artform akin to
Learning a new instrument. Except on a more epic
Scale.

As a catalyst for personal growth it is unmatched.
In many ways it has saved my life.
It has ratically shifted my view of the world, my life
And my relationships with everything.
I carry its lessons with me at all times .

I am lured by its mystery and its beauty.
and overwhelming intensity at times.
It can be a wild animal that's impossible to control
Learning to roll with it is difficult and takes a lot of practice.

Vovins piece is very good and well written.
I would recommend it to anyone interested in this path.
Dmt is obviously not for everyone and a great deal of
Thought should be put into persueing it .
Seriously. For once this a substance that's no joke and
Can command your respect like nothing you will ever encounter .

love

I'm not saying it's been a negative force in my life. Quite the opposite, actually.

I'm 45 years old and started painting at 44, solely in an effort to flesh out my experiences in some way. I've always been a museum guy, always been very passionate about art, but this is something I never knew I was capable of or felt sufficiently motivated to try. But here I am now; I love it and believe it's something I'll do everyday for the rest of my life. This has been a direct and (I believe) positive gift that's come to me straight from the molecule.

But for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. My experiences have redefined my relationship with my death, but I wouldn't say they've made me less fearful - and quite possibly they've made me more so. They've alienated me at times from other people in my life and made me feel more separate from most new people I come into contact with. They've made me much more uncomfortable with certain priorities, material attachments, professional choices and aspects of my personality, but they don't provide a magic solution to figuring out the alternatives. They've made me feel insane at times. It ain't all elves and faeries.

My only advice is to heed the warning that this experience offers no answers at all - just an unending flood of questions. That can be uncomfortable, and I would say that for me that has definitely been the case. I'm no wiser now than I was before. I'm happier in some ways, unhappier in others. I wouldn't trade it, but it ain't always easy. Take it for what it is.

If you want to know more about this existence you have woken up mysteriously into, I think DMT is a great way to peer into the possibilities. If you don't, just have a beer and a cigarette instead.

I just wanted to add, or more so reiterate something. This is an experience nobody will never be ready for for your first time no matter how much they prepare in my opinion. No matter how much you read trip reports and research this chemical. The first time will be 100,000x more than what you expected and read no matter how detailed some people remember their trips and feelings. This is assuming you are around blast off range or either blasting off for sure. This is not meant to scare you, every experience had and heard of from peers has been a enjoyable one in a way different way than one enjoys any other psychdelic. It is a lot to handle though. I definetly do not recommend blasting off completely your first time.

I'm really new to DMT. I've never broken through and I've had a somewhat scary experience with this substance so seeing this post stuck out to me, but I still feel it's worth sharing my thoughts.

It's true, after that bad experience I agree DMT should not be taken lightly. And while I also agree opening doors increases questions, If you're someone who already has a lot of questions like me that's not a bad thing.

DMT seems like it puts me in a state of mind where I must turn questions based on a conceived absolute, into questions based on objective observations which are far more useful in my opinion.

Excellent post.
I believe that even low dosage can be dangerous for who is not prepared.
My first time, with low dosage, was a life changing experience.
I did stronger hits, but never experienced a true "breakthrough", but since the first time something in my consciousness changed forever.

Introducing the spice to someone else is a big responsability, everyone who wants to enlarge the group of spice users must consider this.

Opening door is a good thing for everyone, but non everyone is ready to see whats behind the doors.

I think this sticky should be read by everyone who hasn't tried DMT, whether or not they're considering it. Thanks for posting. I also want to add that the most true thing in this thread that I've read, (opinion, obviously) is that no matter how much you read, or watch, or think, nothing can prepare you for your first experience, especially if it lasts two hours like mine did.

Good post, I'm glad its sticky because all new members should read this.

DMT is not for everyone and shouldn't be shared with everyone either. I know that sounds stupid because I'm posting this on a DMT forum, but its true. Many or even most people aren't ready for the DMT experience or the ramifications. I'm very carefull with who I share with nowadays.

I used to say certain drugs found me and when they did I would use them (shrooms, acid, mescaline etc). DMT, however, I had to seek out and make for myself. I had to do research and understand how its made and what its doing. And with this understanding came respect. When you share this compound with the average person, they have no grasp of its power and no respect for its depth. This can lead to problems and scary experiences.

Its hard not to share and against my nature. But, its the right thing to do. I'm done freaking people out, I'll just freak myself out.

peace

very well put.. thank you for this!
it makes me so sad that there are so many people who will never allow themselves to see what dmt can show them..
but at the same time i know not everyone is ready to see, (is anyone ever really ready for that?).
i haven't met anyone who hasn't wanted to share this with the world after experiencing it for themselves.
please give this as a gift to all who seek it :)

I don´t have my fistr DMT experience yet,but in some way DMT has beguin to change my way of think from now. I been trying to prepare my self as much as possible facing my first experience for a yaer now ,and reading that kind of posts help me. I not looking for answers,but to be a better human been. I been enjoying all the way to my first experience and taking all this with a deep rspect. Thks all of you to help me improve my knowlegds!!

Nicely put Vovin, it is a massive void resides between normal consciousness and break through.
Even just a crack in the DMT door lets out a good breeze.

Normal living is never the same.
And i do wish i could share with every single person

Sometimes i wonder if i started my chemical romance' too early, but i always seem to get back on track when the wheels slip.

I think what is needed to begin this journey of consciousness is a desire for belief and connection.

this is a great warning.
I prefer the people I show spice to to do some research on their own time, try to get an idea of what could be expected, this will be the first piece of suggested reading.
thanks for writing this up.

Beautiful Post.
I have learned that in life alot of the time questions are better than answers, alot of the time when one is asking questions someone else can stop that stream of questions with another question leaving that blisfull silence of awe as you just relax and accept that sometimes we just don't know but we can gain better ideas by questioning and exchanging questions and now I've typed the word question so many times it sounds weird to me :lol:

If you are looking for 'answers' to life - you won't find them here. Only more questions, with even less answers in sight. This is how it works. It won't sit you down and tell you the secrets of the universe - it will show you things that give you a hint and let you make your own mind up, only for you to realise that you don't know, and will never know much of anything. Integrating this sort of stuff can be hard work, and for many, it's not really worth it. Give it some proper thought before jumping in. You will also experience things that you won't be able to articulate, let alone integrate. Elves and fairies are just a tiny sliver of what is in store for you on the other side, make no mistake.

That said, I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything, they have been amongst the most sublime and life affirming that anyone could hope for.

Uncle Knucles said:
I'm 45 years old and started painting at 44, solely in an effort to flesh out my experiences in some way. I've always been a museum guy, always been very passionate about art, but this is something I never knew I was capable of or felt sufficiently motivated to try. But here I am now; I love it and believe it's something I'll do everyday for the rest of my life. This has been a direct and (I believe) positive gift that's come to me straight from the molecule.

But for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. My experiences have redefined my relationship with my death, but I wouldn't say they've made me less fearful - and quite possibly they've made me more so. They've alienated me at times from other people in my life and made me feel more separate from most new people I come into contact with. They've made me much more uncomfortable with certain priorities, material attachments, professional choices and aspects of my personality, but they don't provide a magic solution to figuring out the alternatives. They've made me feel insane at times. It ain't all elves and faeries.

I, too, had seldom in my life had any self-impetus to paint or draw until after trying DMT. Not sure if it will materialize as a reality that others can see, but I've been bouncing ideas in my head for a wall mural in my loft accented with harmalas for a dual-image effect with and without UV lighting. The difference I can tell after DMT vs before is the realization that thinking of a project that could literally take years of work is not deterring at all. Before DMT, I was the epitome of procrastination and over-analyzation of the time/benefit ratio with day-to-day projects/chores. I find myself now able to indulge in the prospects of my ideas without pessimistic thoughts intruding as a result of the amount of effort they may require.

I have always been very patient when it comes to extroverted activity, but DMT has had an immensely positive effect on the patience I have with myself. Much as you put it, though, it is not a magic solution of any sort. I went into my experimentation with DMT hoping for some insight into the root causes of the anxiety, social withdrawal, and codependency issues I deal with. After roughly 2 dozen vaped trips and 3 pharmahuasca trips, I am left with far from no insight, but yet far from what I had hoped for as well.

What I have found is an ease of being at ease with a change within myself. I have no idea still as to why it is I face the issues I do, but at the same time I am less perplexed by their existence. I am less fearful of them, and perhaps understand them better as by-products of how I initiate/process interactions as opposed to facets of my being which I've embraced to substantiate a sense of uniqueness that I strive for.

While this all sounds wholly positive, there does come a caveat suitable to the topic at hand. Were it not for the pleasure I find in submission, the change I am feeling would probably be fearfully unsettling. I think this is part of the core word of caution to be had when dealing with introducing DMT to others. It will change one in some way, and one may have very little control over the manner in which it does so.

Many wise words in this thread. Vovin and Pandora's posts cogently describe what I try to tell people if the subject comes up.

As with most things, when I was first introduced and introducing people to DMT, I cautioned volunteers yet I fear it was often lost amidst my enthusiasm. Fortunately, no one has had a negative experience under my watch short of one person who claimed lung irritation for a couple of days. This person is allergic to lots of stuff and I'm guessing/hoping that's the cause.

At any rate, these days I rarely suggest spice to anyone. If someone does want it, it's a half hour spiel about its potential positives and negatives. While I extol the virtues of my own experiences, I know it is not something to be taken lightly.

Where does one draw the line in description such that you're not tinting the others expectations? I hate that I feel like I've become a worry wort when it comes to new people. At some point, you have to trust in other peoples research and decision making abilities... especially your own as you decide whether or not to catalyze this powerful catalyst.

Back
Top Bottom