Hello :|

Things did not go very well. But given what happened , I now realize it could have ended much worse if I wouldn't have taken some basic safety measures. I'll try to explain maybe it will help someone not to repeat my mistakes:
I had decided to use 250 grams MHRB of the 400 I have, because that was the amount I had already tediously powdered.
Turns out the jar I was using was about 4300 ml, not 5000. When I filled it with 3750 liters of water I was already questioning whether it would fit my amount, but figured after adding my 250 gr powdered mimosa it would be ok and perhaps even good to have the naphta layer close to the opening since I was going to use a medical syringe to pull the naphta as it would be easier to reach the layer being closer to the opening.
I have made the procedure in my bathroom and put jar in the bathtub, knowing that I am going to work with dangerous substances like lye. I have used gloves and goggles.
I have very slowly added the granulated lye (Product: Mellerud Drain Pipe Cleaner (
Rohr Frei Granulat wirkt extrem kraftvoll | MELLERUD ) while stirring with a long spoon for the granules to dissolve.
The water started turning from clear white to a greyish tint and the jar started to become warm as expected but not hot.
After pouring all the 250 grams of lye, I continued to stir the mix for a while.
Then problems arose: I had poured the powdered MHRB and this filled the jar almost up to the brim. I tried to push it down with the same spoon I used to mix the lye, but only a very small amount dissolved, most of the powder still floating and quite a bit forming a big chunk. I had tried to further mix it so about maybe 4 minutes after pouring I decided to close the lid. I somewhat tightly closed the lid and began to shake the jar. Then I heard a sound like pressure forming inside the jar very quickly and a few seconds later it started releasing pressure through what has appeared to be a not 100% secured lid. This increased in intensity and a couple of seconds later I decided it would not be wise at this point to open the because I was afreid of the whole jar blowing up (maybe this would have not been a real possibility but I am no chemist so this was the thought that scared me). So I stepped back maybe 4 or 5 steps. At the very top of the jar , the only space left was filled with a sort of light brown foam and then this brown foam started escaping through the lid slowly.
Al this time, the pressure sound from the lid and the foam continued and then increased so I went outside the bathroom and closed the door shut. Then maybe 30 second later I heard a POP. I then entered the bathroom and the pressure inside the jar had popped/blown the lid off the jar. The lid was still in the bathtub. The foam was spilling on the outsides of the jar into the bathtub.
I had cleaned the place and let the jar opened for about 15 minutes while I was outside my bathroom. When I re-entered I could smell in the whole bathroom a very distinct caustic soda odour. I ventilated the bathroom and washed the amount of foam and MHRB that has been spilled out in the bathtub.
I did not dare at this point to put the lid back so I slowly mixed the MHRB with the lye-water solution with the long metal spoon and only then put the lid. Very large chunks of black MHRB formations still remained in the jar when I put the lid on and slowly started to shake it, periodically opening the jar to release some pressure that seemed to be still forming, until no more pressure was felt when opening the jar after a period of intense shaking.
I then let the solution sit for 1 hour and then added the naphta.
I know I will get a lot of critique and people will probably give me harsh reactions but I thought it would be best to be authentic and describe the experience sincerly maybe others will learn from it.
What do you think ? Where were the main mistakes ? What should I have done differently / where should I have thinked differently ? Was that foamy reaction normal ? Was the lye that I'm using impure or had other additives that caused that reaction ?
Also, is it normal for lye to have grey-color granules among the white ones like my product had ?
Thank you for reading this lengthy piece and apologies if my spelling/wording is awkward , english is not the language I use everyday.