• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

DMT for sleep?

Migrated topic.
Has anyone here ever micro-dosed dimethyltryptamine? :?:

Also, I'd imagine any breakthrough experience will ultimately affect your quality of sleep activity..

Why would you use DMT anyhow to go to sleep? lol

There's about a million n' one other ways to help get restful sleep, many of which will most likely work better than wasting DMT in hopes of attaining better sleep.

Melantonin dude.
Its a tryptamine and controls your day night cycle. Way better in any way than DMT
DMT will just keep you awake no matter what.
And how would you microdose it anyways? Using a maoi everytime you sleep is probably a bad idea.
Also smoking it will not do great either.

One time I smoked DMT and instantly fell asleep - snoring and all - with no recollection of anything beyond sparking the lighter and starting to inhale from the pipe. Same batch worked as normal on other occasions, I probably really needed the sleep that night (morning?) I struggle to remember what happened before that point as well :oops:

So, not a reliable sleeping aid really.

swimwithlove: I get the impression you're not really talking about it as a sleep induction agent, rather you wish to consider how it might affect the subjective quality of sleep - presumably how refreshing/satisfying sleep might be? Perhaps you could elaborate a little more as your question is clearly a bit vague.

Why would DMT help you sleep? Most psychedelics make sleep impossible by messing with your sleep-wake cycle (ever try dozing off on mushrooms? Most people can't do it). I feel like you're taking the (patently false) myth about DMT being related to dreams and kind of running with it.

If I need to sleep, I'll just take a Benadryl, no need to go traveling.

Blessings
~ND

Nathanial.Dread said:
Why would DMT help you sleep?

DMT is a tryptamine, tryptamines are in the same class as tryptophan which puts you to sleep. So it's logical to think that it would work. IME a nice solid sub breakthru hit of dmt can give me a nice calming and sleepy feeling. And there are countless experience reports with people writing that they remember taking the hit, then waking up later or the next morning/day with memories of what happened, but no recollection of actually falling asleep.

But is it going to knock you out like a benzo would and cure your insomnia? Not a chance...

ps

Classic hallucinogens normally tend to keep you awake, and this effect usually lingers on for a while. Even when the hallucinogenic effects themselves have already dissipated.
I have noticed though, that mushrooms or LSD, combined with a substantial amount of oral cannabis have the exact opposite effect. After the effects have worn-off, it's almost impossible to stay awake. I don't know what causes this effect. Could be dopamine-depletion.

Jees said:
paulsage said:
...tryptophan which puts you to sleep...
Tryptophan has a path to metabolize into melatonin. Can DMT?
DMT metabolized into melatonin? Definitely not. Monoamine oxidase will (as it's name suggests) oxidize DMT into DMT-N-oxide, which should then become some kind of indole acetic acid. Metabolism into melatonin would require the addition of a methoxy group in the 5 position as well double demethylation and then acetylation.

Blessings
~ND

I'm sure you've all had the tryptamine rainbow yawns

I get quite sleepy after a DMT session

But that's usually when things get more interesting...if you instead decide to stay awake

Being very familiar with the effects of melatonin (at high doses and low), I wonder if melatonin levels change in response to DMT. Though like ND said, this wouldn't be due to direct metabolization of the molecule into melatonin.

I also get sleepy, and my dreams tend to get more vivid and weird in the days following DMT use. Not sure if that's the best way to achieve restful sleep.

Ulim said:
Melantonin dude.
Its a tryptamine and controls your day night cycle. Way better in any way than DMT

I remember reading about someone on here extracting purer melatonin and vaporizing it before bed. That was crazy, haha!

Nathanial.Dread said:
Jees said:
paulsage said:
...tryptophan which puts you to sleep...
Tryptophan has a path to metabolize into melatonin. Can DMT?
DMT metabolized into melatonin? Definitely not...
Thank you, this is why I doubt the "logic" by paulsage to equalize tryptophan and dmt as both sleep inducers just because they both happen to be members of the tryptamine class.
Unless that logic can be more specifically further addressed?

I feel on a limp to suggest the [tryptophan -> melatonin] metabolizing pathway is solely responsible for it's sleep inducing effects, yet nothing like that comes from dmt it seems.

People often see drowsiness and eternal sized yawning and feeling smacked out as the same thing as a sleep inducer. Personally I feel enough difference in a way they can't be simply substituted.
I've found these incredible deep long yawning sessions take good care of accumulated tiredness that was build up over time (working shifts does that), maybe even better than sleeping itself, so here's actually another difference spotted with real sleep. Deep cleaners stuff.

Even with increased serotonin levels (=promoting melatonin) due maoi's I've a real hard time falling asleep. I also think dose/sensitivity play role.

Ulim said:
Melantonin dude.
DMT will just keep you awake no matter what.

Melatonin is great as long as I get a solid 8 hours of sleep otherwise I feel like a zombie. But DMT (changa rather) has definitely left me feeling dreamy and sleepy physically but leaves my mind pretty wired for a while. So a harmala + DMT combo or even DMT on it's own isn't something I like to do right before bed, but that's me!

Back
Top Bottom