• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Fruiting spawn bag directly

Hi.

I'm starting to grow mushrooms, and I intend to make some spawn bags.

My question is: Can I fruit the spawn bag directly? Like taking it out of the bag and putting it in the terrarium?

What do you mean?

The bags were made with rye. Do I need to add anything when opening them?
Wouldn't it work just to take them out of the bag as is and put them in the terrarium??
It wil probably work but rye bags are usually pretty light in water content so you might not get the best yield. My tip would be to not remove the bag completely, just clean it on the outside with a disinfectant and then remove the bag but leave a bottom. Then place the block in the terrarium on this bottom.

Good luck and welcome back

It wil probably work but rye bags are usually pretty light in water content so you might not get the best yield. My tip would be to not remove the bag completely, just clean it on the outside with a disinfectant and then remove the bag but leave a bottom. Then place the block in the terrarium on this bottom.

Good luck and welcome back
Oh yeah! Add water! 🤣

One love

It can certainly work but as mentioned by others the yields will be lower than optimal plus when experimenting with this I also saw increased problems with bacteria and mold due to the excessive nitrogen level provided by the grain spawn also supporting their growth. In the case of shiitakes there was also more mutants that formed due to the same factor. I believe it is worth playing with ideas though and not being afraid to make mistakes. Not just for myself. I encourage employees to deliberately make some procedural mistakes (just not with entire batches) so they can understand why there is a recommended protocol. Even when it fails it provides great first-hand education about what works/doesn't work and why successful growers do things the way that they do.

Thank you to everyone who responded.

But I still have one question.

What would be the difference between producing fruit directly from the spawn of a PF Tek cake?

In the end, it is vermiculite that is inert and the grain is colonized.

Could I expect a similar yield in weight to a PF cake?

Back
Top Bottom