• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Instant ayahuasca little lightening bolt TEK

Migrated topic.
Interesting, so this does mean you would recommend adding an acid to these cold alcohol soaks? If so, which acid would be the best choice?
EDIT: And am still unclear as to whether iso or ethanol would be better for soaking up orally active DMT, if any? Tnx again for all the help!
This being in the context of extracting from plant material means that DMT will be present in its natural salt form, or rather we have protonated cations and a selection of organic and inorganic ions in the cellular matrix. In that sense the main reason to add an acid would be to free up any DMT that happened to be bound to tannin, so this decision depends, to a certain extent, on the plant material concerned.

I still haven't tried the hot vodka extraction for anything other than acorns but I still get the feeling it would be worth trying with mimosa bark, followed by precipitation of the tannins with lime. The resulting tannin-free tincture (it being reasonably safe to assume that the method is effective in removing mimosa tannin) can either be left as a solution of freebase or neutralised with some kind of edible acid. The latter option is probably more suited to subsequent ingestion.

The reasoning of this last point also extends to harmalas in that having an ostensibly food-grade solvent (ethanol) keeps some options open that iso would hinder, as well as harmalas having better solubility in the ethanol - although I can't definitively say that extends to any given salt form since there isn't an enormous amount of data available.

If you're going by the price, bear in mind you'll likely have to use a larger amount of iso for a given quantity of harmalas to dissolve, and this larger amount would take a longer time to evaporate - although this may be less relevant for an arbitrary, relatively large volume used for extracting plant material.

There are also the qualitative differences in extraction which you noticed between the two alcohols. You'll have to weigh up how much the clumping effect is disadvantageous in comparison to the seeming benefit of the clearer extract, for example.

If you already have a big bottle of iso you might as well use it. Vodka is relatively cheap where I am, or at least the cheap stuff is - how is it in your part of the world?

... the hot vodka extraction ...

Vodka is relatively cheap where I am, or at least the cheap stuff is - how is it in your part of the world?
I can get cheap vodka for about 16 euro's / liter, which is a lot cheaper than grain alcohol here. Not sure how much I would need to use but I expect it would certainly be affordable. However, I'm not sure what you mean with 'hot vodka extraction'?
(I actually have a cold vodka soak going at the moment because I happened to have some in my cabinet that I never otherwise use or drink from, 5g MHRB in about 300ml.)

I can get cheap vodka for about 16 euro's / liter, which is a lot cheaper than grain alcohol here. Not sure how much I would need to use but I expect it would certainly be affordable. However, I'm not sure what you mean with 'hot vodka extraction'?
(I actually have a cold vodka soak going at the moment because I happened to have some in my cabinet that I never otherwise use or drink from, 5g MHRB in about 300ml.)
There's a video I've linked to on here a couple of times, demonstrating a method for removing tannins from acorns. 10 parts vodka per 1 part plant matter for 2 hrs @ 60°C. Precipitate tannins with lime. If used with MHRB this would leave you with a crude (and decidedly alkaline) tincture of DMT freebase.

I also think that his dosages are better to adapt. 15 gr of potent mimosa is a hell of a trip. And 40gr of caapi seems to me as a minimum, but of course, this depends a lot of the material you are working with.

In an alchemical manner, I would prefer to do this Tek with a food grade alcohol rather than with industrial solvents. Just my two cents, but the price for a bottle of schnaps is nothing compared to more advanced extraction methods and you will find yourself with an authentic product. No doubt about consuming vodka and alike. If you go on to distill your proper alcohol, even better.

Quite natural and straight forward recipe.

So, yesterday I had another lovely, insightful & therapeutic experience with this method: Consumed 150mg harmala hcl, 20 minutes later a 5g MHRB AE combined with a 1g SR AE.

For some reason, it took 2,5 hours before the trip came on despite once again eating grapes around T40:00. I assume the grapes were not enough to stimulate the digestion this time, for whatever reason.
For the MHRB extract I used a bigger, somewhat sturdier gel cap this time, which might have had an impact? (Although I poked a few holes into it.)
Once it did start it was also more sudden and shorter-lasting than last time, 2 hours or so.

Also, I had three bites of an oatmeal cake immediately after consuming the MHRB pill. Not taking it on a fully empty stomach seemed to create significantly less nausea. This combined with CosmicLion's anti-nausea recipe made it a very low-nausea experience.

Also, scraping tip: The residue that an AE leaves on your glass surface is significantly more fluttery than the residue of a water brew. Use a lid while you scrape to prevent the particles from jumping onto your dirty desk!

EDIT: I also consumed some honey with my ginger shot after consuming the harmala's. This seemed to make my mind fluttery and less able to become centered and meditative. Sugar will do that, I guess, so I will not be repeating that.

Last edited:
Further to this point, microwaving finely powdered MHRB on low (10%) in vodka (well, actually Doppelkorn, but still grain alcohol @38%abv) makes a deep wine-red extract. The beaker was covered with a piece of parafilm to hinder evaporation, minimising the explosion risk.

SAFETY NOTE: ONE SHOULD ALWAYS BE WARY OF HEATING FLAMMABLE SOLVENTS! The microwave is not necessarily intrinsically safe, so careful consideration was given to heating rates and vapour confinement. If in doubt, use a warm water bath instead! NEVER HEAT A SEALED CONTAINER without incorporating a fail-safe pressure relief system! (Parafilm achieves this in this particular instance, but the temperature remained below 70ᵒC.)

50g bark with 300mL vodka resulted, after filtering and washing of the marc with 4×50mL unheated vodka, in 350mL of extract. Some evaporative losses will have occured, and the powder retains a significant volume of solvent both through absorption and interstitially. This process may be amenable to use of a Soxhlet apparatus, despite prior opinions to the contrary…

It remains to be decided whether to proceed with tannin precipitation using lime, or simply to keep the tincture in its present form.

Nice, curious to hear the results you get from the tincture after consumption (with and/or without the tannin precipitation).

Also, I forgot to mention: Can confirm now that IPA indeed sucks for harmala's. I soaked 2g of grinded SR in some IPA and the result was a sickly green oil that wouldn't dry and became red when I scraped it together. Probably it would have been psychoactive but it felt intuitively gross to ingest, so I didn't.

Nice, curious to hear the results you get from the tincture after consumption (with and/or without the tannin precipitation).

Also, I forgot to mention: Can confirm now that IPA indeed sucks for harmala's. I soaked 2g of grinded SR in some IPA and the result was a sickly green oil that wouldn't dry and became red when I scraped it together. Probably it would have been psychoactive but it felt intuitively gross to ingest, so I didn't.
It seems best to proceed with a test tube experiment for determining stoichiometry of the tannin precipitation. This appears prudent to establish for any given batch of plant material, after all.

Maybe you could send your IPA harmala gunk to Kykeon for analysis? That's a possible way to avoid it being a waste (although 2g of rue is no big deal, indeed!)

Back
Top Bottom