• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Phalaris/other grass types ID thread

Migrated topic.
I'm finding a lot of this species of grass on my hikes in the local area. It does remind me of Phalaris arundinacea.

Can anyone please ID this species ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_100849.jpg
    IMG_20200602_100849.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200602_100824.jpg
    IMG_20200602_100824.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Anything recognizable here?

AGzfw9R.jpg

Dk7U9un.jpg

DwUHKzl.jpg

E8xSx2J.jpg

auX6Erg.jpg

You can use a plant identification app.
Find all other plants (Poacee) containing interesting alcaloids is the beginning of a new way.

Today I was taking a picture of a Phalaris arundinacea lookalike, and then I noticed it is infested with a species of ergot...

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_181824.jpg
    IMG_20200926_181824.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200926_181858.jpg
    IMG_20200926_181858.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 1
I have Phalaris aquatica growing in my back garden,next doors had a pond some time ago and it's growing inbetween concreat slabs in my garden.

just noticed pictures and pretty much in every picture I can see full hand etc ....

it isn't that hard if you wanted to to take FINGER PRINTS ....
when I was renewing my passport my finger prints got taken so I am in a database now myself

Harm reduction/security dear Nexus members

I am native to central Europe and looking at these pictures,Phalaris is what I used to put in my mouth and chew on as a kid when collecting mushrooms or fishing....remember it had kind of sweet taste to it....

so today I realized I been munching on DMT since I was probably 5 years old :thumb_up:

I am talking about the stems not leafs

technology is out there,there was a case recently a pedophile was convicted by structure of his vains visible on the video him abusing a child(well done police btw)

About grasses:

Indole alkaloids are responsible for toxicity of
Phalaris pastures to sheep and cattle [l-3]. Several of these alkaloids are present in various species of Gramineae, Leguminosae and other plant families [4]. Simple indole bases such as 3-N,Ndimethylaminomethylindole (gramine)
5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (MOM2T, 2), 5- methoxytryptamine (MOT, 3) and N,-methyltryptamine (MT, 4)

...total alkaloid content varies between 0.02-1.19 of dry wt in Phalaris arundinacea [7]
and gramine concentration may reach up to 7 mmol/kg fr. wt in barley ,

..Several plant secondary metabolites are thought to protect plants against insects and patho- gens. For example, hydroxamic acids from Gramineae have been suggested to protect wheat and maize against the European corn borer.

Always known for the property of selectively chelating metals, forming stable products especially with Cu2 +, Fe3 +, V5 +, UO22 +. They have also been studied for the realization of polymer chains with chelating properties to be used in the selective removal of heavy metals [2] [3] Some hydroxamic acids such as SAHA, Vorinostat, PXD101 and Belinostatin, LAQ824 / LBH589 and Trichostatin A, are HDAC inhibitors with anticancer properties.

It might as well be minor we cant tell until we inspect the seeds. One way to rule out phalaris minor os to uproot the plant and takea a close up pic of the root tips of the new root growth. If its pink it's fair to say with a reasonable accuracy that it's minor. This is the method that is suggested by crop scientists to farmers to identify phalaris minor infestation within a feild of phalaris aquatica. Root tips plus seeds should give us a very accurate taxonomy.

Back
Top Bottom