• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Psychedelic/Trippy Movies

Migrated topic.
so I just watched 'the holy mountain'

wow!

its definitely an experience.. (not a movie to watch with your girlfriend when she's in a romantic mood or something haha)

there were several references to psychedelics, some subtle, some directly spoken (one of which is a criticism to people who think psychedelics=enlightenment).. There's shamanism also represented in the movie, and tons of charicatures of the world and human being behaviors, like sexuality, police brutality, spirituality, empty hedonism, alchemy, art, crap entertainment, all sorts of human sins etc etc

and there is one part which I completely reminded of dmt 'machine elves', at about 53 mins into the film when there is some sort of 'sex machine' which is a weird geometrical cube thing that makes these electronic buzzing sounds and so on, and eventually has a 'machine baby' which is like a miniature machine cube.. very funny.. anybody saw this?

endlessness said:
there is some sort of 'sex machine' which is a weird geometrical cube thing that makes these electronic buzzing sounds and so on, and eventually has a 'machine baby' which is like a miniature machine cube.. very funny.. anybody saw this?
Yes I remember that bit. The chauffeur gets chastised for being a bad lover! One always imagines such a machine would give you pleasure, not the other way around.
I got bored and only watched half the film... I was sober though, maybe it's better in other states.

Lots of good ones here, although it's probably way too late to help the OP with his project. :) I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. I've never seen that one NOT tripping, and think I'll keep it that way. :p

I've got a good one that's a bit more obscure, many probably haven't seen. It's called Immortal (Ad Vitam). It's a sci-fi centered around egyptian gods, Anubis is one of the main characters. If you're thinking it sounds like Stargate, you can forget that, this is much stranger and darker.

Also surprised to not see Enter The Void on this list. I'm not aware of any other movie so heavily centered on the DMT experience.

Altered States (1980) with William Hurt, great special effects for its time, though the plot is a bit fractured and makes random jumps. Has a few references to DMT, Amanita Muscaria, and Banisteriopsis Caapi in it, and you'll also recognize a line of dialogue towards the end that Simon Posford samples in the Hallucinogen song "Shamanix".

Also, Jacob's Ladder (even though it had completely inaccurate information on the effects of the synthetic drug BZ). But it's got Tim Robbins and the direction/production is far better than the above mentioned movie Altered States.

But be forewarned, both of these movies are rather dark! So viewer beware, you're in for a scare! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

My fave to watch coming down on psychs (even sober it will trip you out):

Wax: or the discovery of television amongst the bees.

Hard to find, but WELL worth it. No drug taking per se, but the whole film occurs in a sort of hyperspace where the souls of the dead becomeswarms of ethereal bees. It's got so much awesome early 80's computer generated (as in a single person w/ an old pc) visuals and the crazy narrative just completely trips me out.

Can't recommend this highly enough. May be able to find posted online somewhere.

Edit: - - - W A X W E B - - - D a v i d _ B l a i r - -

Brief William Burroughs cameo as The Hivemaker

Alice in Wonderland, Super Mario Bros., Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, A Christmas Carol(with Jim Carey), Spirited Away, Wizard of Oz, Shrek the Third, Limitless...

Yes, I love watching children's movie's when I'm tripping. Sue me. :)

For me The Holy Mountain is by far the most psychedelic movie I've seen. It's a trip by it self. One of my favorites. :)

Baraka is also wonderful. Must see

been sayed before and im gonna say again cause of pure awesomeness BLUEBERRY!
there is no other movie imo that successfully captured some of the dmt/aya experience, enter the void comon not even close more like just some crappy music visualizer

most have been mentioned, few other good ones:

trainspotting
human traffic
planet earth series- i find nature very psychadelic
mr nobody
donnie darko
a clockwork orange
almost any pixar movie

cosmic butterfly said:
planet earth series- i find nature very psychadelic
this, especially the ones that focus on insects and deep sea creatures, can get very bizarre

'life' and 'Nature's most amazing events' are good ones too.

also, not technically a movie, but certain episodes of futurama and south park

EDIT: human planet is a good one too, its like a nature documentary, but it focuses on the furless apes. synergizes quite well with some sillycybin

And Samsara is out. Haven't seen it yet but only a part of it. And that part is not a nice one. Probably not vise to watch that under the influence of a psychedelic.

I think I'll soon turn vegetarian and then a vegan.

Adaptation
Being John Malkovich
Vanilla Sky
Sphere

That's all I have off the top of my head. To be honest, any movie is "psychedelic" when you're on psychedelics. I found The Avengers to be gushing with psychedelic themes when I was on Morning Glory seeds.

The Twilight Zone is way trippy even when not on psychedelics. Some episodes are better than others, of course.

Back
Top Bottom