aliendreamtime
Rising Star
Thought this was pretty cool. In my arid environment, I'm considering giving this a shot!
Sandbag House
Sandbag House
Bedazzle said:Not so, Ayalove.
Hempcrete carries a signifigant carbon footprint. Produced far away, and shipped to your location, contains lime/and or portland cement..which are materials that are baked at extremely high temperatures, burning huge amounts of fossil fuels. For example, to produce one ton of concrete, 1800 pouns (just under one ton) of co2 is released into the air. Hempcrete on the other hand, it a little bit better.
If commercial builders got into hempcrete it would be a small step in the generally correct direction....DIYers would do better to look towards non-manufactured, hand made, earth based products.
Building with whatever type of soil one has at one's disposal, is an alternative that makes a lot of sense. Sand bags seem very cool, however. I'd personally go with cob, unless of courser I lived in a more arid clime, inwhich case sandbags would look attractive.
.
! MelCat said:Other countries use burlap sacks without issues all the time. Once the earthcrete inside cures, I doubt you'd have much to worry about as far as the elements go. Also the burlap will be encased in outer mortar which will make it air tight. No air or UV rays getting to the burlap should prevent it from deteriorating.
I'm really looking forward to building either a cob house or a eco dome at some point in my life.