• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Botany The Acacia Grow Thread

Growing logs with advice and results.
Migrated topic.
Yeah its definitely worth doing that. If you leave them too long their roots can cling around the holes in the flat tray and get damaged as your wedging them out. They look more than established enough to prick out n' pot on I think :)

@CheeseCat that does look a little concerning. I'd just keep a close eye on them. They will hopefully open up.. what is that brown bit at the edges? Is this the cotyledon dying? Or is it just the seed coat. If the latter I would remove it.. yes the seed coat provides nutrients to a seedling in need, but it can also get stuck and rot.

[EDIT] I have now planted 17 wattles in my garden.. only room for a few more tree sized ones and then will be little shrubs. Pictures to come :)

@CheeseCat how's your obtusifolia going? Mine are really starting to take off.. as are the rest. I've given away most phlebophylla now. Glad to know it's presence in my town is becoming established!

Super keen to see photos of your wattles in the ground! I was just admiring some of your photos last night.

My obtuse are growing well, a lot of new branches emerging and phyllodes have a nice green look to them. I’ll take some photos…thankfully my acuminata has survived some really strong winds of late. It’s put on quite a lot of new growth too. It’s going to love it when it starts receiving more sun.

@CheeseCat that does look a little concerning. I'd just keep a close eye on them. They will hopefully open up.. what is that brown bit at the edges? Is this the cotyledon dying? Or is it just the seed coat. If the latter I would remove it.. yes the seed coat provides nutrients to a seedling in need, but it can also get stuck and rot.
That would be the cotyledon dying. There’s a seed coat stuck on one of the mucronata however, so I’ll try remove that incase it is causing rot. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ah, nice one! I plan to give some of my plants away too, providing I can find the right people who will care for them.

I know you recommended Marion Simmons Volume 1 and 2 Acacias of Australia but have you read this one? I was keen to get it…

Attachments

• 1521971642.jpg
    1521971642.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1
Now, THAT is a book I would like to get my hands on! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.” @CheeseCat

Yeah I’d probably remove the cotyledon if it’s been on there a while..

Sorry I haven’t posted much in the way of my plants recently.. here’s some fresh shots of fresh growth 🌿 More to come

Some of my caroleae not much over a year old flowered which was odd..

Attachments

• IMG_8296.jpeg
    IMG_8296.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8293.jpeg
    IMG_8293.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8282.jpeg
    IMG_8282.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8281.jpeg
    IMG_8281.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8275.jpeg
    IMG_8275.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8299.jpeg
    IMG_8299.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8298.jpeg
    IMG_8298.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8233.jpeg
    IMG_8233.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • E2F0B704-DC61-4A41-82C5-CF39000978D4.jpeg
    E2F0B704-DC61-4A41-82C5-CF39000978D4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
    864.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Great photos @acacian, I never get tired of seeing phleb backlit, venation is incredible. Very fond of that super bushy floribunda of yours, it’ll look amazing as it matures.
Some of my caroleae not much over a year old flowered which was odd..
Interesting, I wonder what causes this?

Now, THAT is a book I would like to get my hands on! Thanks for bringing it to my attention
Yeah, it's a great little book, an excellent guide for someone starting out (y)

Here’s a few shots of my acuminata and obtuse settling in nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_20241002_155736.jpg
    IMG_20241002_155736.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20241002_160000.jpg
    IMG_20241002_160000.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20241002_160013.jpg
    IMG_20241002_160013.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 5
Looking great CheeseCat! Your obtuse is getting to a nice size!

As for cause of early flowering, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe stress? They did come straight from a greenhouse into an often windy winter here.. sometimes plants will try to produce seed when they think death is near..

Last edited:
So I have potted up my earliest tray of seedlings. I've got to wait for more tubestocks to arrive before doing all of them. I also used some mycogold from biostim to innoculate the roots. On the website it says it has both endo and ectomycorrhizal fungi and 2 nitrogen fixing species so I think it'll be an absolute boom for them. We will see in the coming weeks.

Attached is a picture of the 2 already potted ones which also received treatment with mycogold.

Attachments

• 20241006_091416.jpg
    20241006_091416.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20241006_091451.jpg
    20241006_091451.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 2
@Animistic keep us posted how they go with the mycogold. Are you doing any without being treated with it? Would be good to do both ways to compare results between treated and untreated.

What species are in that latest photo?

Next I am planning to germinate are Acacia triptera and longifolia.. then that will do for my garden and the rest will be guerilla gardening. I’ve now planted about 20 wattles here and must keep space for other plants! Definitely keen on growing some different grevillea/correa as well as a casuarina and banksia if space permits..

Keep up the great work @CheeseCat and @Animistic

@acacian pictured are courtii. My floribunda seeds got turfed by an unknowing house guest which is massively disappointing. Luckily I have more floribunda seeds and am planning on doing a side by side mycogold treatment with them.

Guerrilla gardening ftw. No doubt a lot of my babies will end up the same lol.

Thanks, but I'm sure I speak for Cheese at too when I say you're a major inspiration @acacian.

Back
Top Bottom