I 100% agree.. going in the ground lets the tap root search for water deeper down.. that said.. there can be complications going in the ground too.. I’ve watched my fav floribunda deteriorate in health the past few years being right next to a massive bay leaf tree.. the others are doing well.I notice all my acacias become significantly stronger and resilient when they are planted in the ground. I'm in their native climate but I would bet the healthy floribunda would be okay if planted outside next spring. Not sure if that's an option for you but they really don't seem to respond well to root boundness ime. Only thing in what I imagine of a PNW climate is just making sure to plant in a more free draining area. Floribundas are hardy beasts though.
Yeah floribunda always has needly phyllodes when younger.. then you'll see the phenotype come through as it ages. Sorry about your dead plant.. I just lost my maidenii from the drought. We're going into a super el nino here apparently. Floribunda isn't bothered by the dry or the cold generally.. although when they're young most acacias will be a bit frost sensitive.Interesting observations @acacian. I have one 'white willow' and one 'small seed' growing. My NSW/QLD border died from transplant shock. No flowers on mine yet but next season they should be good to go. Both varieties have distinctly narrow phyllodes.