• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

TEK Converting CBD to THC using only Zeolite and heat.

This topic contain a TEK
Migrated topic.
Am I wrong in assuming that light naphtha would be similar to using hexane? I know the problems that arise from doing a full evaporation of not-so-clean lighter fluid, but I'm just wondering.

Getting out fine particulates (in my most recent case, precipitated tannins from a hippophae bark brew) can be achieved with a carefully rolled plug of paper kitchen towel stuffed into the neck of a funnel.
Today I used a very strongly rolled up set of kitchen paper towels and stuffed that in the end of the funnel with a lot of force.

I pre-wetted the filter with ethanol and then added my mix to the funnel, it passed through relatively fast and the end result was clear of any zeolite.

So I guess just a simple solution like this works best and I will use that in the future.

For reference: I had 10g of the end product dissolved in 350ml ethanol 96%.

Currently I'm in the process of evaporating the ethanol, and I will now do one last quick filtering to remove any dust that was cought from the air.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Today I used a very strongly rolled up set of kitchen paper towels and stuffed that in the end of the funnel with a lot of force.

I pre-wetted the filter with ethanol and then added my mix to the funnel, it passed through relatively fast and the end result was clear of any zeolite.

So I guess just a simple solution like this works best and I will use that in the future.

For reference: I had 10g of the end product dissolved in 350ml ethanol 96%.

Currently I'm in the process of evaporating the ethanol, and I will now do one last quick filtering to remove any dust that was cought from the air.

Kind regards,

The Traveler
Awesome - how wide of a strip did you roll up?

I think my tannin filtration was particularly slow because there was enough of the stuff to clog the filter.

Awesome - how wide of a strip did you roll up?
2.5cm diameter width and 3cm long.

I think my tannin filtration was particularly slow because there was enough of the stuff to clog the filter.
The only side effect I had was that the paper kitchen towels left some (viber) particles of their own. No real problem since those were easy to filter out with a normal coffee filter.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

I got to leave the house for a few hours, so I'll finish later.
The white/greyish powder were black after 15 minutes at 105ºC, I soaked and mix them with isopropyl alcohol, and left it alone to precipitate to the bottom while covered so it doesn't evaporate.
I'll try to filter it later, but this batch will be only for edibles for now.

One lesson I learned though: use an aluminium liner so you can more easily get the end result out of the container
I didn't learn soon enough lol. It wasn't that difficult though, I soaked the container in some IPA first.

I've never used standarized edibles (well, I've only used homemade ones over the years). What's a good dose to try with this supposedly pure THC?. I'm a long time daily user of cannabis but I don't usually eat it, my last time was probably 2 years ago.

I got to leave the house for a few hours, so I'll finish later.
The white/greyish powder were black after 15 minutes at 105ºC, I soaked and mix them with isopropyl alcohol, and left it alone to precipitate to the bottom while covered so it doesn't evaporate.
I'll try to filter it later, but this batch will be only for edibles for now.
Mine never gets black, it always stays light gray.

I didn't learn soon enough lol. It wasn't that difficult though, I soaked the container in some IPA first.
Soaking is easy indeed, though if you have a larger container you might end up needing more solvent than needed (as was the case in my moment of learning).

I've never used standarized edibles (well, I've only used homemade ones over the years). What's a good dose to try with this supposedly pure THC?. I'm a long time daily user of cannabis but I don't usually eat it, my last time was probably 2 years ago.
Normally a space cake is said to contain something between 20-75mg THC it seems. Knowing that my result was comparable to ~62% of pure "Delta-9-THC" in strength, I guess you can make your own calculations with this in mind.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Thank you, that was helpful.

I wasn't very precise, mine wasn't black either, but it is pretty dark grey. Certainly way way darker than it was before heating.

I saw your calculations, but I've seen this source saying that delta-8 is around 2/3 the potency of delta-9, so I'm gonna assume the end product is 70% of the potency of delta-9, just in case it's too strong.

Also, I've made the conversion using argon, that should skew the balance towards delta-9.

I'm starting my holidays tomorrow, so I'll probably be fine if I try 70-75mg of the extract (~50mg of delta-9 in my calcs).
Edit: This is way too strong according to psychonaut wiki. I'm gonna start with half of that amount.

I was under the impression that the end product would be honey-like consistency.

And It was that way, until I started scraping It from the plate, when It crystallized suddenly.

Does this look right? Its super hard, pretty difficult to break.

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_213100.jpg
    IMG_20240321_213100.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
I was under the impression that the end product would be honey-like consistency.

And It was that way, until I started scraping It from the plate, when It crystallized suddenly.

Does this look right?
Is that after a solvent pull and drying?

My end-result is much darker and a very thick wax.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Is that after a solvent pull and drying?

My end-result is much darker and a very thick wax.
Yes, this is after IPA pull. It was left for two hours at around 80ºC to evaporate, and it was a darker wax as well, with a consistency like honey.

But I was scraping it from the dish with a dab tool and transferring to a container, and it started crystallizing suddenly. As in, 1 minute it was honey, and the next minute it was a solid block, pretty hard to break. I grinded and spreaded it over the plate again to see whats happening, and that's the photo I sent.

Yes, this is after IPA pull. It was left for two hours at around 80ºC to evaporate, and it was a darker wax as well, with a consistency like honey.

But I was scraping it from the dish with a dab tool and transferring to a container, and it started crystallizing suddenly. As in, 1 minute it was honey, and the next minute it was a solid block, pretty hard to break. I grinded and spreaded it over the plate again to see whats happening, and that's the photo I sent.
Quite interesting! When I try to stir mine, it is just REALLY strong wax. Very hard to push around though it does not crystalize.

Maybe some zeolite is still stuck in it or something? You might like to have it send to a test-center before consuming?

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Maybe some zeolite is still stuck in it or something?
I think this is the case. However, I've asked around and a friend told me that this exact thing happened with a weed extraction of his, it crystallized suddenly. And in that case there wasn't any zeolite.

I'm not gonna smoke it because I don't trust it to be zeolite free, but I'm willing to eat some tomorrow without further testing, I know the materials I used were fine for this.

I think this is the case. However, I've asked around and a friend told me that this exact thing happened with a weed extraction of his, it crystallized suddenly. And in that case there wasn't any zeolite.

I'm not gonna smoke it because I don't trust it to be zeolite free, but I'm willing to eat some tomorrow without further testing, I know the materials I used were fine for this.
Sometimes stuff does just crystallise - this could even be a good sign for high conversion into a single isomer (or a terrible sign for no conversion whatsoever, but hopefully not!)

I believe you have a product high in CBD and so it crystallized, 15 minutes at 105C° is basically the minimum you could do both in reaction time and temperature, I would guess you have some THC in there tho.
after the results from Kykeon analytics that @The Traveler gave us, I think the ideal frame is between 25-30 minutes and 150C°.

after the results from Kykeon analytics that @The Traveler gave us, I think the ideal frame is between 25-30 minutes and 150C°.
To be even more precise, these are the details of how I performed my first extraction that was send to Kykeon Analytics:
  1. Wrap the 1:1 mix of CBD : Zeolite very tightly in aluminium foil as described in the OP.
  2. Heat the oven up to 105C in the "hot air modus".
  3. When the oven reached 105C I put the package in the oven and directly set the oven to go to 150C ("hot air modus").
  4. Wait 15 minutes.
  5. Get the package out of the oven and let it cool down to room temperature (I did this to check the results).
  6. Since the result was a very light gray color I thought I did not heat it long enough and put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes at 150C ("hot air modus").
  7. Get the package out of the oven, let it cool down to room temperature, unwrap it and let it settle in 96% ethanol to separate the zeolite from the mix.

Some notes that might be interesting (or not):
  • Hot air ovens usually heat up faster than normal ovens, I know mine has a "boost" function that quickly reaches the desired temperature (Miele H7240BM).
  • When I looked at the result after the first 15 minutes I exposed the result to oxygen since I had to open the package to take a look at it (and wrapped it up very tight again before putting it back in the oven), this might have degraded the percentage of Delta-9-THC?
  • I let the end result including the zeolite stay together for many hours in the ethanol, I'm not sure if there would be any significant chemical reaction between the zeolite and "product" at room temperature.
  • To evaporate the ethanol from the mixture I used a hot plate in the range of 64C to 80C+ while having a small fan blow softly over it.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

I believe you have a product high in CBD and so it crystallized, 15 minutes at 105C° is basically the minimum you could do both in reaction time and temperature, I would guess you have some THC in there tho.
Maybe it is CBD. I used short conversion times (15 mins exact) and a low temperature (105ºC). This might indicate that the end product crystallized because it is indeed CBD.

I couldn't resist myself yesterday and smoked a tiny amount of it (<10mg). It felt psychoactive, but in all honesty, I had a weed joint an hour prior to that, so I'm not really sure if it was placebo or real effects. I'll test a higher amount orally later today.

Last edited:
Around 1 hour and a half ago I ate 60mg of the powder. So far, there are no discernible effects. This is probably CBD, but I'll take another 60mg and see where this goes in the next few hours.

My lesson is that 15 mins at 105ºC in my oven wasn't enough, I'll need to up the temperature or the duration a bit in the next trial. (Or this is gonna hit me like a train later, but I doubt so)

Back
Top Bottom