• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

How does your cactus garden grow? (Cactus pic thread)

Migrated topic.
View attachment 98181View attachment 98180

Instead of having them very tall, so that they fit the greenhouse I build for them every winter, I have been multiplying cuttings instead and keeping them shorter.. This means the family grew a lot in numbers.. Also been gifting people cuttings, it´s always nice to spread the genetics :)
So you have them in the ground and build a greenhouse every year? Interesting. What is the greenhouse made of? What temps do you have in the winter?

So you have them in the ground and build a greenhouse every year? Interesting. What is the greenhouse made of? What temps do you have in the winter?
Yeah, I build a couple of these sort of greenhouses, which is enough for most of them to fit in.. There´s always some that dont fit due to how they are planted next to some tree or whatever, but even those, they have all survived for all these years. Winters nights here are around 0c but a few days each winter the coldest nights get to around -6c
qa198a18889824dcd_jpg_800x.webp

We get -4c, mine are in the open, never lost one to cold not even a seedling (trichos and peyote). A lot of trichos are reported to handle -8 to -12 with terscheckii the cold hardiest and reportedly can do around -20c with snow. Obviously some variation to this plus exposure time etc.

Yeah, I build a couple of these sort of greenhouses, which is enough for most of them to fit in.. There´s always some that dont fit due to how they are planted next to some tree or whatever, but even those, they have all survived for all these years. Winters nights here are around 0c but a few days each winter the coldest nights get to around -6c
Ah, ok. So the greenhouses don't have to be heated... You are lucky your temps are so decent in the winter. We have up to -20C here though last winters were mild and the temps were higher. Nonetheless I forgot 3 cacti outside in the autumn overnight when the temps were -5 and they survived, but the growth the next year was stunted and I rather discarded them.

Unfortunately my Cacri Garden hasn't been growing much as of late only surviving and dying.

Hoping to change they this season and get back into my hobby(s) I've drifted from due to life.

Might try and keep a kind of grow journal going to help try and keep me focused .

20240505_203344.jpg

I've lost alot the last couple years, amd alot of myself along the way as well. Getting some plants setup to fire up an indoor Vegging room.
20240502_193038.jpg

UofC " Opium "
This one I got in my last trade back in 2020. Was from a local Cannabis Growers. It's got a coil story behind it. It's said to have come from a researcher at the University of Calgary from their botanical collection, it was. Said to have tested high in Mescaline. The researcher who liberated this T Pachanoi was researching Papaver Somniferum and the alkaloids. Reason for the " UofC Opium " Clone name.
20240503_124810.jpg20240503_125241.jpg
20240517_030420.jpg

If I'd thought for a moment that you were using this kind of greenhouse, I'd have been over to help with the build two or three years ago already! Give me a shout if you ever need a hand again since this is entirely in my line of work. For some reason I had envisaged a custom build out of craftsman-grade materials - preconceptions maketh the dimwit🤦‍♂️

Anyhow, the garden's looking lovely there and I may soon be following your lead of a more low-cut approach as things get ever more cumbersome with potted specimens otherwise. I'm guessing you get a whole lot less rain during the winters in your location, along with considerably more sun, than I do about 2000km further north. I get this bad case of green jellies when I see your plants sitting happily in the ground like that :D

Unfortunately my Cacri Garden hasn't been growing much as of late only surviving and dying.

Hoping to change they this season and get back into my hobby(s) I've drifted from due to life.

Might try and keep a kind of grow journal going to help try and keep me focused .

View attachment 98296

I've lost alot the last couple years, amd alot of myself along the way as well. Getting some plants setup to fire up an indoor Vegging room.
View attachment 98299

UofC " Opium "
This one I got in my last trade back in 2020. Was from a local Cannabis Growers. It's got a coil story behind it. It's said to have come from a researcher at the University of Calgary from their botanical collection, it was. Said to have tested high in Mescaline. The researcher who liberated this T Pachanoi was researching Papaver Somniferum and the alkaloids. Reason for the " UofC Opium " Clone name.
View attachment 98301View attachment 98302
View attachment 98304
OOf, yeah - you've got a lot of visible etiolation there - and that crusting on the lophs is something I'm sadly all too familiar with. Wishing you the best of success in your endeavours and the forthcoming rebirth of your hobby!

Ya it's sad, I'm crushed at what had become my collection.... I'll rebuild amd regrow,; provided I'm able to keep my mind focused and moving forward.

I look at the cacti and frankly they seem to be doing better than myself currently. 🤣

Spent the last few days cleaning up what i have. Rooting tip cuttings and cutting back severely damaged cacti. I'll have lots of Cacti material to breakout the Chemistry equipment and do some experiments with once again.

Ya it's sad, I'm crushed at what had become my collection.... I'll rebuild amd regrow,; provided I'm able to keep my mind focused and moving forward.

I look at the cacti and frankly they seem to be doing better than myself currently. 🤣

Spent the last few days cleaning up what i have. Rooting tip cuttings and cutting back severely damaged cacti. I'll have lots of Cacti material to breakout the Chemistry equipment and do some experiments with once again.
Man, you're not alone in this - although my cacti are doing fine, I've struggled to keep on top of a bunch of things the past couple or three years. Tbh, I didn't manage to get my cacti outside last year and it's looking iffy again this year because there were a few missed windows of opportunity where I'm left not wanting to put them straight out in the blazing summer sun. Fortunately they have an OK conservatory location but they're still slightly etiolated in comparison to how they perform with a full outdoor treatment - they love getting out in the elements, but I have to avoid the risk of them getting sunburn.

On the plus side, this treatment did lead to the unexpected blooming of a PC pach. that I've had in my collection the longest but I'd still rather beef up some of my 'more sacred' specimens a good deal more.

Glad to hear you've already knuckled down and started making progress - I have a load of tidying and organising to do so that I can get some lab project up to scratch, so let's share some more mutual inspiration!

Back
Top Bottom