• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Movie: The Secret

Migrated topic.

delphine

Rising Star
I'm not able to watch this myself, hope you guys check it out, let me know whatcha think: ttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1713414398006481796&q=law+of+attraction&hl=en

I saw this and it fits in with the ideas behind 'what the bleep do we know' (another movie). The underlying principles of designing your own destiny/reality are very real IMO! 8)

not impressed at all. Go sell a bunch of rocks, and a book for a quarter, and sell this DVD with NeoBS. There is no Secret about Positive Thinking and the Power of Attraction. This is Old School Occult Knowledge. Right out of the Rosicrucian AMORC and Martinist lessons. Nothing new at all. This data has been out for thousands of years, and not to the Select few as this wanna be Davinci Code I have a Secret movie goes into. Love the Mystery they try to create, they did well to create this Aura of Mystery, and the gulible fell for it. Want to laugh, just watch this and think about how Gulible the mass mind is to pay for this crap. It is so sad when the people who made this film make so many false claims and lie to you. And steal ones Money at the same time. SHAME. Filmed well, scored to create emotional responses and embeded with sub conscious programming. I was a little bummed after wasting my time downloading through bittorrent. Thought it was another Davinchi Code wannabe adventure. damn. suckered.

These people actually believe that if you get cancer and die, it was your own fault for not thinking their own health into existence! Do they think people starving to death in drought stricken countries aren't trying to wish food into existence? I think they are. I doubt they're all thinking 'man, I never have food, I bet I'm going to starve'. More likely 'Please god, provide me some food so I will live and prosper'. I doubt that it's not happening just because they're praying to someone else instead of 'the universe'.The will to survive is stronger than the will to get a promotion.

An example of why this theory doesn't work: I'm very optimistic about timekeeping. I always think I've got plenty of time. I EXPECT to get there on time, and get my work done on time. But often, I don't at all! And afterwards I think, why on earth did I believe that I'd get there in time? I should begin my journey earlier next time. My optimist expectations do not come into existence half the time.

This 'Law of Attraction' theory (note how the name is deliberately taken from science to weasel in 'credibility') is a mystification and extrapolation of a psychological theory that actually does work- cognitive behavioural therapy. What you think does affect how you feel- the thought comes first, the emotion comes second- and how you feel affects how other people think of you and treat you. Believe in that and it'll improve your life. But that's as far as it goes. You cannot think things into existence. You can only think with the right attitude that will make such opportunities more likely to present themselves.

The 'Law of Attraction' is deceptively 'self-proving', because anyone who tries it out and doesn't get what they expect will disregard it eventually, and the only people nutty enough to continue believing will be the few who end up with the life they wanted.

Personally I think the whole thing is a bit sick. The emphasis placed on financial success is telling of contemporary American culture. In the UK, it's actually considered rude to talk about how much money you have, because it shouldn't be important. And we're only one little step down from America, our culture's pretty sick too.

I'm an atheist but I'm going to use a religious example. In the gnostic gospel of Thomas, Jesus places great emphasis of how "the kingdom of heaven is within you'. I think at least on one level he meant that happiness is inside you. You need very little external things to be happy. You don't need wealth and all that. All these things are just things we strive for as a means to an end. Why bother with 'the means' when 'the end' is already within you? Happiness is the only thing in the world that is sought after for it's own worth. Everything else is just something we do in the hope of attaining it. And this is the one thing you CAN think into existence. :)

I'm not saying you shouldn't wish, or pray. It's good for strengthening your resolve, and it makes you feel better when you're otherwise helpless. And it might even work (it did half-work for me uncannily once as a child, although I've since thought of it as probable coincidence). But don't start seeing worse off people than yourself as victims of themselves alone, and don't start wanting things so badly that you spend all your life focusing on the future and forget to stop and smell the flowers.

The message of the movie is fine but damn I hate that movie! Tell me the secret how to always think positive and then you're telling me something. Don't just tell me to always b+ :(

DMTripper said:
The message of the movie is fine but damn I hate that movie! Tell me the secret how to always think positive and then you're telling me something. Don't just tell me to always b+ :(

You want to know the secret to always being positive?

You will always have some negative thoughts, it is inevitable. The trick is to notice them, acknowledge them, and then turn your mind to a more postivie assesment of the situation.

For me personally it's road rage. I constantly get annoyed at other people driving and it provides the perfect learning environment to redirect my thoughts and energy into other, more constructive ideas.

A girl friend of mine recommended the book and it was such a waste of time reading that book. I'm baffled as to how it's so popular. I guess all that has to happen is for Oprah to just recommend a book and it becomes an instant hit.

The real 'secret' is how they ever managed to sell their BS.
Ha DMTripper you mentioned B+ ... recommended! Golden Teachers and Amazonians too of course.

Bastard said:
A girl friend of mine recommended the book and it was such a waste of time reading that book. I'm baffled as to how it's so popular. I guess all that has to happen is for Oprah to just recommend a book and it becomes an instant hit.

Have you ever read or seen any of Gregg Braden's stuff? I haven't read the Secret but I know some who have and it seems that it is very similar to what Braden is talking about, except Braden uses science to show how it could all be possible.

If you haven't I'd suggest checking him out. Awakening to Zero Point, and Divine Matrix are a couple google videos that are quite compelling.

Yes the movie is a massive ball of cheese, but the message that is being told (loosely) is absolutely true. That is, the idea of being able to create things in your world by concentrating on them enough, and I was very skeptical when I first came upon this idea but after having proved it many times over it is undeniably true, for me.

The new age push behind this is sooo lame though and I think pushes more people away from the message than anything. Yes this is occult teaching, this is no less than any form of magic, witchcraft, sorcery, shamanism or alchemy, except it's wrapped up in a gay little package and over the top about 'Love and Healing and Positivity". Sure being positive MOST of the time is pretty great, BUT you cannot polarize yourself EITHER way, too negative OR too positive, or you are imbalanced and will develop associated problems.

If you don't believe it, try it out. Think about something really really hard for a few days and see what comes of it, maybe it won't work for you at all, but it did for me and has produced some crazy results. Meditate on one particular thing that you would like to appear in your life, or do what I did and think of something really mundane but unexpected and see what comes of it. I would highly recommend trying it before dismissing it.

When I first came upon the idea I tried it by meditating on the number 16 for 20 minutes a day for 3 days. The day after I stopped doing this I went to a house party unexpectedly and was going around meeting people and a guy came up and introduced himself as Sick Steen. He was a rapper and this was his 'rap' name, Sick Steen, or Sixteen. I was sold.

Try it!

11:11 said:
Sure being positive MOST of the time is pretty great, BUT you cannot polarize yourself EITHER way, too negative OR too positive, or you are imbalanced and will develop associated problems.

I don't quite agree with that statement, at least in regards to polarized positivity in life.

Like a Saidin said (wise words my friend), the key is to take NOTE of all [positive and negative] thought, as to never blind yourself to the 'true' assessment of a good/bad situation, while channeling your mind to what is most beneficial to yourself... as for me, that is positivity.

Negative thoughts are a necessity (how else would you have positive thoughts, then?), but how you USE those negative thoughts is key. 'Turning' negatives into positives can be incredibly beneficial to the growth of YOU. Your general well being. Your outlook on life. How you handle things... etc... the list goes on and on.

Alas, the doj has got me rambling off my original thought... 8)

Essentially - to NOT take note of the negatives (for the optimists) or the positives (for the pessimists) leads to imbalanced life and possible associated [psychological?] problems. To take note, learn from, but not harbor such negative thoughts is imperative, to me at least. It's all subjective, after all. :)

wake and bacon said:
Essentially - to NOT take note of the negatives (for the optimists) or the positives (for the pessimists) leads to imbalanced life and possible associated [psychological?] problems. To take note, learn from, but not harbor such negative thoughts is imperative, to me at least. It's all subjective, after all. :)

Exactly.

The trick is to notice the thoughts, positive or negative, understand why they make you feel that way, and whether or not there is a better direction to focus your attention. Your negativity/positivity is just a projection, a perception which can always be changed, if you are aware enough not to be controlled by your subconscious mind.

Very well put.

It's quite the quest [throughout ones entire life, I would imagine] to be able to, in essence, beat your subconcious, autonomic response (e.g. positive or negative) to situations with logic and reason, by looking at the situation without bias, in order to not only find the benefit in it, but also to allow it to resonate with your life and experience in order to promote a more fulfilling, happy, and meaningful life from that point forward.

What do you have to lose by striving for positivity? It, IMO, can only be beneficial.

Just don't lose sight. Naivety is not generally beneficial, I would have to say.

wake and bacon said:
It's quite the quest [throughout ones entire life, I would imagine] to be able to, in essence, beat your subconcious, autonomic response (e.g. positive or negative) to situations with logic and reason, by looking at the situation without bias, in order to not only find the benefit in it, but also to allow it to resonate with your life and experience in order to promote a more fulfilling, happy, and meaningful life from that point forward.

This to me is the meaning of life. There is no greater purpose to existence. Life without the mind is truly liberating.

Back
Top Bottom