• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Passion Flower Extraction Tek. *With Pics*

Migrated topic.

Inlightin

Rising Star
Hello friends, I thought I would document some of my findings with p. incarnata and get some feedback.

--

Now I know this plant is not the first choice for harmine alks and I had dismissed it completly for years. About a year ago I had around 100mg of amber colored crystalline extract I made from p incarnata. DO NOT DO THIS > Swim foolishly ingested it with a large dose of 2c-I and nearly had to be hospitalized. The effects were that of 10 doses of 2c-i *It felt.* After that I have became rather interested in studying this plant.

Extraction Process:

Step 1. I powderized 2 ounces of p. incarnata leaves/ flowers with a coffee grinder.

Step 2. This powder was added to an amount of warm distilled water to completely cover the powder and the solution sat for 10 minutes.

Step 3. The Solution was filter twice through reg. coffee filters, and transferred to a new beaker.

Step 4. 2-4 drops of household vinegar 5% was added to the solution and stirred, 5 minutes later 2 drops of household ammonia was added and immediate reaction was noticed. This solution was allowed to sit in the frigde overnight and precipitate has settled to bottom.

----

Pics:
2cwlopt.jpg

^Materials.

2zgzpd3.jpg

^Adding Vin/Ammonia.

10fw21h.jpg

1124zdd.jpg

^Precipiate.

----

I am doing the first washes as of now and will report back with results/ Finished tek. Just wanted to give a preview of these tests.

---

I have used this tek many times in the past and have actually had good results. from 2-4 oz of plant material I have aqquired 200mg+ of white crystalline alk. I am well aware of p. incarnatas alk % from other ppls work and am only trying to test plants I have grown for years. *Virtually unlimited supply* And I tek most of the day with other plants.

Notes: Under magnification from previous tests have shown small crystalline blocks, similar to what I have noticed with pure harmine from caapi.

I do not know 100% if this is harmines precipitating, however the solution glows heavily under black light, resembles harmine under mag, and would be reasonable to assume. I will be further examining the end result.

---

Please feel free to comment, criticize, or give input/ suggestions on this. That is why i posted :)

Thanks friends.
- Inlighten.

nice one :)

seems easy as 1-2-3

I guess one could also make a manske salt precipitation before freebasing it with ammonia (I cant remember if its harmine or harmaline but one of them is slightly soluble in basic water even as a freebase, so its better to make the freebasing step as a last step and only once to not lose much yield)

By the looks of it, it seems the sticky oily 'whatever' that is present in rue and makes filtering a pain in the ass, is not present in passion flower dry leaves, so depending how it goes this could definitely be very nice to check out

I would love to hear what yields you get and also the bioassay part if you try it at some point

in any case, this seems very interesting, and maybe when we got more information (and keep posting pics, they are always nice hehe) I think this will deserve a space out of the nursery and into the permanent harmala section :)

Passion Flower Harmine Extraction:

Extraction Process:

Step 1. I powdered 2.5 ounces of p. incarnata leaves/ flowers with a coffee grinder.

Step 2. This powder was added to an amount of warm distilled water to completely cover the powder and the solution sat for 10 minutes.

Step 3. The Solution was filter twice through reg. coffee filters, and transferred to a new beaker.

Step 4. 2-4 drops of household vinegar 5% was added to the solution and stirred, 5 minutes later 2 drops of household ammonia was added and immediate reaction was noticed. This solution was allowed to sit in the fridge overnight and precipitate has settled to bottom.

Step 5. Washing. After the harmine has settled to the bottom of the jar carefully decant/siphon off as much liquid as possible without removing any of the harmine.
After water has been removed discard and add more distilled water to fill the jar and allow to settle.

^ Repeat this process at least 3 times, For best results repeat until water is clear.

Step 6. Evaporation. After you have completed all of your washes it is now time to evaporate. To speed up this process siphon off as much liquid as possible and pour your alkaloid solution into a glass Pyrex dish. Apply a fan for faster evap.

----

Notes:
Lemon juice can be used in place of vinegar.

Chlorophyll issues. As you can tell there is still slight amounts of chloroplasts staining the harmine. I have not yet came up with a method for removal however the quality of the leaf can affect this. For best results use completely dry and aged leaf. Usually light yellow/ gray in color.

Picture Tek:

214xhyd.jpg

^Materials.

2s79bh2.jpg

^Addition of vinegar/ammonia.

mblfz7.jpg

^After First wash.

2q8nkhf.jpg

^ First Wash.

2edmxqg.jpg

^After 2nd Wash.

2m5l9v6.jpg

^After 3rd Wash.

xqmfqh.jpg

^After Evap.

6yp06g.jpg

^Pure Harmine.

2pzhams.jpg

^Final pic. From 2.5 oz plant material, a little over 300mg harmine.

----

Thanks for the input endlessness :)

The manske salt precip before freebasing is def. an idea worth trying. I have never had any trouble with oils/fats being left over in the extract from p. flower. *which has happend with rue.* Final yeild was a little over 300mg.

I will Bioassay very soon ;)

----

Thanks Observant, I would imagine caapi leaves would also work great with this tek. I have used this on caapi bark with good results. color impurities were present however. But could be further purified.

---

Thanks again everyone, I will leave a Bioassay soon and keep updating :)
- Inlighten.

Hmmmm... I'm gonna try this right now.

.............:arrow: ......:arrow: ....:arrow:

Edit: Well crap. A lot less passionflower was in storage than I thought... only 12.17g. Will have to pick some up tomorrow.

Thanks for showing interest Dimitrius :d

----

If you are harvesting yourself I have found mature plants to have a much higher alkaloid content. It grows wild in my location so most of my specimens come from vines 15ft+. But smaller plants work just fine although yields are somewhat lower.

---

Also I will be using this tek. on b. caapi leaves soon and I will update a pictorial for everyone. Thanks.

are you sure that it's only harmine?..I have always wondered what else could be in passionflower..but I guess lots of people use it so it should be safe..

I know that if you crush the leaves or cut them before you dry them cyanide is created...so I guess we should all dry ut leaves whole and then crush them up..Im going to try this eventually..my passion flower vine died in the winter but I think I may have some leaves still.

Hello Fractal, :d

Passiflora Incarnata has been the only one found to contain Harmine alkaloids. This extraction is aimed only at p. incarnata.

Passiflora Incarnata has been found to contain Harman, Harmol, and Harmalol. As well as apigenine and C-glycosylfavones < which are the known chems for passionflower main sedative properties. No cyanide is present within this species, however almost every other species I have checked does contain cyanide & mainly in the seeds. P. Incarnata and its extracts have been sold widely for quite some time so I do not suspect any other toxins to be a problem.

----

I know that if you crush the leaves or cut them before you dry them cyanide is created...so I guess we should all dry ut leaves whole and then crush them up..

^ I haven't heard of this before, But I will check into it. I usually dry mine at room temp whole however I have snipped them before and consumed with no noticeable side effects. But thanks for bringing this up. I will further look into it.

---

Thanks for the input!

The American Pharmaceutical Association Practical Guide to Natural Medicines by Andrea Peirce.

"Unlike other Passiflora species, Passiflora incarnata does not produce the edible, succulent fruit referred to as passion fruit. Passionflower does not contain the poison cyanide, as some sources incorrectly suggest; they may have mistaken Pasiflora incarnata for Passiflora caerulea, the ornamental blue passionflower that does contain this toxin."

---

I found this along with several other legitimate sources saying no cyanide has been detected in p. incarnata. I will continue to look though. Hope this helps!

I dunno what I was growing..guess I will have to grow some incarnata..think I would rather use it than rue..caapi would be my first choice but it's slower growing so I can let it grow and use incarnata till the caapi is bigger.

Thanks Aegle :]
---

Soulfood - Passiflora Incarnata Is actually pretty easy to identify from other species. If you are able to find it during flowering season this is best. I posted a pic below to help. P. Incarnata is the only passion flower with that color scheme. If no flowers are present try this.

The 3-lobed leaves, vining habit, deep rootstock, and attractive flower are all characteristics that help to distinguish maypop passionflower from other weeds. If you are still uncertain I would just try ordering online. Passion flower is pretty cheap.

xfu51j.jpg

----

I dunno what I was growing..guess I will have to grow some incarnata..think I would rather use it than rue..caapi would be my first choice but it's slower growing so I can let it grow and use incarnata till the caapi is bigger.

^ That is a great idea. Passion flower grows very fast and is very easy to grow from cuttings so if growing yourself you will have access to bulk quantities in a very short amount of time. Which will be usefull while the caapi is growing.

If you have a health food store nearby that has a dedicated bulk/loose herb section, it's likely they get their herbs from Frontier Coop. Frontier Coop carries a wild crafted Passiflora incarnata from India. I find it to be of good quality, based on tea preparations.

If you order from them online, check out with the 20% off code:

Didn't make it to the store today. Gotta wait until Monday.

Inlightin said:
Soulfood - Passiflora Incarnata Is actually pretty easy to identify from other species. If you are able to find it during flowering season this is best. I posted a pic below to help. P. Incarnata is the only passion flower with that color scheme.

Cheers! I have a massive load of passion flower all over my back garden, but now I realise it's not incarnata.

But thanks for that :)

cool tek would other passifloras such as P. edulis have toxins and only incarnata doesn't have these toxins?

P.Incarnata is the only speicies used medicinally. The reason for this is that it does not contain the toxins present in other species.

When the species are chewed The mixture of enzymes and cyanogenic glycosides combine and release hydrogen cyanide. Which is why these are not to be consumed.

----

http://www.frontiercoop....;cn=Passion+Flower+Herb

If you order from them online, check out with the 20% off code:

Didn't make it to the store today. Gotta wait until Monday.

^Thanks alot for the help! If anyone needs any other p. flower sources let me know and I will try and help. There are alot of reliable sellers that offer this plant for cheap.

- Inlightin.

SWIM did the tek on a bunch of fresh dried leaves (as in fresh picked then dried 2-4 days in the backseat of a car parked in the summer sun). SWIM got a good gram of nasty looking green powder, then washed it three times (as the tek suggested) and ended up with significantly less (as in around 300mg) of nasty green, salty powder. SWIM decided it would be a good idea to snort the nasty green powder, and got a nice two hour buzz. :) not bad for SWIM's first time extraction. Maypop grows plentiful in SWIM's area, and he has access to a good amount of it all the time. (as in pounds of it during the summer.)
Swim would like to be able to end up with grams of the stuff, but without the nasty green chlorophyll stains.
SWIM was wondering if anyone had any idea how long maypop leaves should age, or if anyone had found a fast-aging process.

Back
Top Bottom