• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Scales - cheap vs expensive

Migrated topic.

bentham

The faithful
Joined
Oct 31, 2011
Messages
8
Merits
42
As Britney says, Sup y'all?

My question is rather simple - would you rather buy a serious 0.1g scale (which, out of the expensive scales, is the best I can afford - really don't want to spend $300 on a scale) or a cheapo 0.001g scale?

I mean, say the good 0.1g scale is 100% accurate - you still cannot measure anything below 100mg. On the other hand, how accurate can the 0.001g cheap scale really be?

Thank you for your time.



Ps, I'm sure this question has been asked before in one form or another, but I really can't find an answer specific to the expensive but low readability vs cheap but high purported readability queston.
 
yea, those cheap ebay scales are more than good enough for your needs. regarding weighing in milligrammes, place and replace material, rather than add to the bowl, which won't register small change as such. Not an issue wityh 100mg+ though!
 
I use the Gemini-20 although it's unbranded here in the UK. Not had any problems and it seems pretty accurate.
 
A 0.1g scale will lead to eyeballing, mistakes and a possible hyperslap from doing too much. I settled on a quality 0.01 scale as a compromise...
 
got a cheapo blade scale and I eyeball my doses. weigh out (by adding little by little bits of spice until it registers) .1 and then split it into 4 bumps of similar size for ~25 mg doses... or split up a .1 into three bumps of similar size for a "breakthrough dose" or something close to it. After splitting up my doses I add a very tiny sprinkle to the dose just for good measure... rather have enough than not enough 8)

Happy hyperspacing....
 
I have a rather cheap scale that's supposedly to do 0.001g, but it has serious difficulties measuring anything below 0.1g. So I only use it to measure the yields from my extractions. I got myself a little 'spoon' which is about 10mg per scoop. So I just do 3 or 4 scoops and place that inside my pipe. While I still haven't had a breakthrough I think i'm quite sure I should be able to breakthrough with just 3 scoops if I work a bit on my vaporization technique.
 
Psychonaut In Orbit said:
rather have enough than not enough 8)
yea well, the thing about that is:
you can always smoalk moar.
to my knowledge you can't unsmoalk DMT, so i am of the "better safe than sorry" camp.
 
I got these bad boys, not the cheapest out there, not too pricey either, happy medium, and most importantly, goes to 0.001 8)


Dalman_50ct_Carat_Scale_DIA_50.jpg
 
Thank you for all your replies.

I'll definitely try and find a "happy medium", so thank you for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

The other, less techno suggestions are also interesting (eg the 10mg spoon).
 
bentham said:
Thank you for all your replies.

I'll definitely try and find a "happy medium", so thank you for your suggestions, they are very much appreciated!

The other, less techno suggestions are also interesting (eg the 10mg spoon).

I don't recommend anything other than a scale. 10mg of different batches of spice can look very different.
 
Parshvik Chintan said:
Psychonaut In Orbit said:
rather have enough than not enough 8)
yea well, the thing about that is:
you can always smoalk moar.
to my knowledge you can't unsmoalk DMT, so i am of the "better safe than sorry" camp.

That's true, better safe than sorry, but for me when it comes to spice I feel comfortable with the amount I can eyeball (and I say that with all due respect to the spice)... I've never gone overboard (there's a first time for everything 😉 ) and the unpredictable nature of spice is something I've come to expect and respect. There's been times where I've known I've put more than enough in my pipe for a breakthrough only to get a visual light show, and there's been times where I felt as though I've skimped on a dose and ended up having a "breakthrough-like" experience. It's all in how you approach it. I've been through enough trips to feel and know the general dose I need to blast off....with my "general" doses I split that in half and give that to "first timers" and it's been a success every time... they get the feel of Dimitri without being slung to the other side of the galaxy (but 9/10 they end up wanting more or a "stronger" dose anyway). Overall I'm saying I've found a method that works for me and others that I've shown the spice... i'm not saying that my method will work with everyone else but it hasn't steered me wrong in ~60 trips. :)
 
I am in the process of sending back the SECOND-IN-A-ROW crappy non-working American Weigh GPR-20 I've gotten from Amazon. The last one was DOA. On this one the display is messed up and does not show all the sides of numbers, making it very hard to read. I used it a few times, figuring out the weight by context ("It just passed looks-like-maybe-two so it must have settled on looks-like-maybe-a-three..."). It seems like a perfectly decent scale if only I could get one that %$#^&*% works.
 
I have a cheap (~$8 ) 0.001g scale that i bought from ebay, which works perfectly, and accurately. it hasn't given me any problems thus far...i've had it for almost a year.
 
Go for Gemini-20, it's 0.001 and very very accurate if you know how to handle it and have steady hands.Plus it costs like 5 euros on ebay if you buy it from hong kong.So +1 for Gemini-20 :d
 
Back
Top Bottom