I think the cheap 0.001mg scales are adequate but theres a bit of a knack to using them optimally.IME, calibrating them with a reliable weight is important.I've also found that they dont behave half as well if you add your poison to the pan directly or onto a carrier such as a cigarette paper upon the said pan.
My approach is to calibrate the scales, add a cigarette paper to the pan and note its weight.I then remove the cigarette paper, add an eye-balled approximation of goodies onto the cigarette paper and THEN replace this onto the pan.The cigarette paper weighs say xmg alone, with goodies weighs y mg hence the weight of goodies is y-x mg; if this is incorrect for my venture then I will remove the loaded cigarette paper and then add/subtract goodies as required then re-weigh until the desired weight is achieved.I find the scales become fairly inaccurate if material is added to the pan in small quantities.