• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Bach...Mozart...need I say more?

Migrated topic.
Nice to see that people are into classical music, it's such a mind travel into your own realm of fantasy, powerful.

you can check out rachmaninoff's piano consert no.2, russian composer with great understanding of music, he really hit the nail with the hammer, one of my favorites. This is a remake of his masterpiece.
 
Something modern, a little minimalist, but incredibly beautiful, my favourite pianist of all time, Mr Enaudi :love:

 
jamie said:


..where have you been all my life?

..through all the heartbreak..the sorrow..the joy..
Mozart...not so much, I've been finding his style quite annoying for as long as i remember myself listening to music.

js bach has always been my favourite and the stuff almost exclusively i listen to while journeying on salvia. there is something in bach's music that is just too damn close to the divine. Maybe his strictly mathematic style (not everyone can write contrapunctial music like he did), who knows.
 
Infundibulum said:
jamie said:


..where have you been all my life?

..through all the heartbreak..the sorrow..the joy..
Mozart...not so much, I've been finding his style quite annoying for as long as i remember myself listening to music.

js bach has always been my favourite and the stuff almost exclusively i listen to while journeying on salvia. there is something in bach's music that is just too damn close to the divine. Maybe his strictly mathematic style (not everyone can write contrapunctial music like he did), who knows.
Didn't want to say anything in my original post, but I am TOTALLY with infund on this one :d. Beethoven blew my mind. Layers upon layers upon layers, intricate and precise, mostly 16th notes and 8th notes, very mathematical feeling
 
Mozart's Requiem, Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, like only some selected compositions from most classical legends, but my hands down favorite is the genius Beethoven.
Especially his Symphony #7 2nd movement, Symph #5, Fur Elize, and the composition that Always reaches my soul is Moonlight Sonata.:thumb_up:
 

Always blows my mind that Beethoven wrote this while virtually deaf:

Fun fact...when Stravinsky's Rite of Spring first was shown, it basically provoked a riot in the audience. To add to the chaos, someone on stage was confused on what to do and kept flicking the lights on and off :lol:
 
universecannon said:

Always blows my mind that Beethoven wrote this while virtually blind:

Fun fact...when Stravinsky's Rite of Spring first was shown, it basically provoked a riot in the audience. To add to the chaos, someone on stage was confused on what to do and kept flicking the lights on and off :lol:

Blind? Beethoven was never blind, but he went deaf when he was about 30, but didn't go completely deaf until his 50's. He could compose his music in his head, but could never hear his own music with his ears, imagine that..I guess you know this tho.... but Bach and Handel "went" blind, Correct me if I'm wrong.

This video of Stravinsky's "Rite of spring" is genius btw, thx!
 
universecannon said:
LOL, brain fart typo. I meant to type "deaf", not blind.
The air need to get out of the system somehow you know, and sometimes it is to much to handle, it's cool 😁 Anyway, I was on a classical piano concert the other day, a 15 year old girl was playing some classical pieces at the living room to one of my teachers at school, the hole place was crowded, she played with so much passion and understanding, it was outstanding to watch here, such an inspiration, she foraxample played chopin - Scherzo, and yeah, she played it hard! amazing experience

Right now, i can't hold my fingers away from the piano, such a great instrument!
 
Yeah jamie, I've been discovering Bach and Beethoven's music too lately! To me some pieces take a while to appreciate, but after that you just discover layer after layer of greatness. A bit like the Mars Volta actually! :)
I know you are familiar with Christian Rätsch. He is a big Wagner fan and I once read that he loves to take a small dose of acid and go watch a Wagner opera. :) Me personally I have a hard time listening to opera. Classical music yeah, opera, not really...
 
Good as the animated score is, no other version of the Rite of Spring comes close to this one:

[youtube]
 
Wonderful stuff. I too am a Rachmaninoff fan, I'm in awe of his second concerto, but for me it's his third that has long been my favourite. I agree with most that number two is more musically and melodically appealing, but for me number three doesn't lack in this department and it just agrees with me, the technicality and difficulty of the piano alone is something I find bewildering. Classical music is so enchanting, and good for the soul. Thanks for creating this thread, and for the wonderful music suggestions so far
 
+1 for Rachmaninoff. So emotional.

My favorite piece is Cello Sonata Opus 19. I always wets my eyes hear that piece, so intense.

Especially the 3rd movement Andante. When the cello starts I'm lost. Utterly beautiful.

Piano concerto 2 and Cello Sonata were both written after a period of heavy depression.
 
Have not listened to much more than some NPR,
but did read something interesting the other day,
that said the golden mean was used in about 90%
of Bachs compositions, and several other famous
composers including Motzart used it very often.
 
With the classics, it is not only the composition that makes the music, the interpretation makes at least the other half.

Some that I like:

BWV 596 - Bach's adaptation of Vivaldi's concerto for violin. It has Bach's musical mathemathics crossed with Vivaldi's lyricals. But then the best version is one that was again rearranged, for 4 recorders (flute) and played by The Amsterdam Loeki Stardust Quartet on their 2003 CD 'Fugue around the clock'.

There used to be a full version in youtube, but it is gone now. A lower quality torrent can be found somewhere, but for those who appreciate this kind of music it may be worth ordering the CD.

Here is a teaser still on youtube:

Also:

Bobby McFerrrin, the "Don't worry, be happy" guy, singing Bach's Air

- with Yo Yo Ma
- Live at Bach anniversary

Funny:

Bach's well known Toccata and Fugue, on 9 saxophones:


And finally, anything Glenn Gould is unforgettable, but everybody who likes Bach already knows that. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom