• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

I need lotsa help............

Migrated topic.

Dankone

Rising Star
Ok, so SWIM just started researching the process of extracting DMT from Mimosa Hostilis bark and they come to realise this stuff is both extremely difficult and dangerous. So right now SWIM has 3 ounces of MHRB, Roebic drain opener (NaOH) and vm&p Naphtha, 1 gallon milk jug to mix... SWIM has read that NaOh is dangerous and can eat through glass and plastic , is this true? Plus NaOH is all SWIM can get ATM...

So SWIM's questions are, What tek would you recommend SWIM start with? Can SWIM use NaOH and still produce product? What does SWIM do if they don't have a separatory funnel? Can SWIM maybe get a few pointers?

tolu said:
Dankone said:
wow, awesome reply again man.

one quik question, so you would recommend SWIM evaporates his naphtha in a pie dish first for about 8 hours before stickin it in the freezer?
Not that long, 8 hours is usually enough for it to almost completely evaporate.
People generally evaporate at least a 1/3 of the original naphtha quantity, usually 2/3. This is a better marker to go by, but that would probably take about 4 hours or so.
dang well, ok let me try to explain my situation.

I actually only have 2 jars in the freezer, the other two i haven't put in yet. I put the first two in about an hour ago, and i can already clearly see white crystals developing on the bottom... should i just leave them in there or take them out now and let them evaporate first.

Plus, should i take the two i havent put in the freezer yet and let them evaporate, or set them in the freezer?

sorry for hounding you with so many questions

Dankone said:
tolu said:
Dankone said:

one quik question, so you would recommend SWIM evaporates his naphtha in a pie dish first for about 8 hours before stickin it in the freezer?
People generally evaporate at least a 1/3 of the original naphtha quantity, usually 2/3. This is a better marker to go by, but that would probably take about 4 hours or so.

I actually only have 2 jars in the freezer, the other two i haven't put in yet. I put the first two in about an hour ago, and i can already clearly see white crystals developing on the bottom... should i just leave them in there or take them out now and let them evaporate first.

Plus, should i take the two i havent put in the freezer yet and let them evaporate, or set them in the freezer?

Oh I didn't realize swiy had started, how much naphtha was used?
It's fine to leave those two jars in there since they've already got good crystal formation.
The evaporation only helps the freeze precip stage, so it's probably a good idea to evap the other two for a while.

Questions are fine, gives me something to do at work ;)

sorry man, i hope you aren't typing a reply to this right now. I went ahead and took the jars out the freezer and put them in a pie dish with the other two jars... i hope i didn't make a mistake.

Also, after 1/3 has evaporated... do i just put the whole pie dish into the freezer?

tolu said:
Dankone said:
tolu said:
Dankone said:

Oh I didn't realize swiy had started, how much naphtha was used?
It's fine to leave those two jars in there since they've already got good crystal formation.
The evaporation only helps the freeze precip stage, so it's probably a good idea to evap the other two for a while.
Doh! I knew i should have waited for your reply... i am such an impatient moron.

anyways, i used 50 mL for each pull, i don't know why i said grams in my OP.

Dankone said:
sorry man, i hope you aren't typing a reply to this right now. I went ahead and took the jars out the freezer and put them in a pie dish with the other two jars... i hope i didn't make a mistake.

Also, after 1/3 has evaporated... do i just put the whole pie dish into the freezer?
Hah, you posted 1 second after me.
It's not a problem that you've done that, but you didn't need to, that's all.
It will still be fine. :)
And yes, after 1/3 to 2/3 has evap'd put the dish into the freezer, and cover it with saran wrap/cling film/plastic wrap to avoid anything getting into it.

tolu said:
Dankone said:

Hah, you posted 1 second after me.
It's no problem if you do that, but you didn't need to, that's all.
It will still be fine. :)
gotcha man, thank you soooo so much man. I think i may have got it, and i couldnt have done it without you. If i do happen to make DMT on my first try, ill be sure to post pics of the end product.

Thanks a million

crap, ok so i think i might have a problem. It's been about 10 hours since SWIM put the pie dish in the freezer, and he doesnt see ANY crystal formation. Perhaps he should take it out and let more evaporate? or should he wait a full 24 hours before he takes such measures?

Dankone said:
crap, ok so i think i might have a problem. It's been about 10 hours since SWIM put the pie dish in the freezer, and he doesnt see ANY crystal formation. Perhaps he should take it out and let more evaporate? or should he wait a full 24 hours before he takes such measures?
Well, it can't hurt to let it evaporate a bit more.
Has the naphtha gone cloudy yet?

tolu said:
Dankone said:
Well, it can't hurt to let it evaporate a bit more.
Has the naphtha gone cloudy yet?
Yes, SWIM told me he can see that the naptha appears a little cloudy. He still has some naphtha in a jar and in that jar there are clearly crystals forming. What is the difference between the 8oz jar and the pie dish?

Dankone said:
swim took the 8oz jar out of the freezer and the snowglobes turned into what looked like small piles of goo, or water droplets... what do i do?
While the naphtha warms up again the dmt will simply go back into the naphtha (since dmt is soluble in naphtha), that's probably what you're seeing right now.
Have you already poured the naphtha away?
If so, did you pour it away as soon as you pulled it out the freezer?

I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is, having not been in this situation before, but what you could simply do is add enough naphtha to redissolve what's left in the jar and freeze precipitate it again.

Are there any crystals forming in the pie dish yet?
You mentioned that you wasn't quite sure if your freezer would be cold enough, this could have something to do with it, have you definitely got it on its lowest setting?

tolu said:
Dankone said:
swim took the 8oz jar out of the freezer and the snowglobes turned into what looked like small piles of goo, or water droplets... what do i do?
While the naphtha warms up again the dmt will simply go back into the naphtha (since dmt is soluble in naphtha), that's probably what you're seeing right now.
Have you already poured the naphtha away?
If so, did you pour it away as soon as you pulled it out the freezer?

I'm not really sure what the best thing to do is, having not been in this situation before, but what you could simply do is add enough naphtha to redissolve what's left in the jar and freeze precipitate it again.

Are there any crystals forming in the pie dish yet?
You mentioned that you wasn't quite sure if your freezer would be cold enough, this could have something to do with it, have you definitely got it on its lowest setting?
As soon as SWIM took the jar out of the freezer, he drained the naphtha away. after he drained the naptha away and added it to the other naphtha in the pie dish (SWIM has the pie dish out now also evaporating), there were tiny oil like spots in the bottom of the jar. After leaving the jar out for about 30 minutes, the oil spots are looking to be becoming solid, but they don't really look like crystals... plus they are very tiny spots and SWIM doesn't see how it would be enough to scrape off...

I thought i was to have my freezer on the highest setting? That's what i put my freezer to.

What i guess SWIM gonna do from here is try to scrape whats in the 8 oz jar, because i figure what's in there isn't enough to really salvage with naptha, and just see what comes out of the pie dish once it's done evaporating, and then set that in the freezer.

and then... i don't know
SWIM is confused :(

Dankone said:
As soon as SWIM took the jar out of the freezer, he drained the naphtha away. after he drained the naptha away and added it to the other naphtha in the pie dish (SWIM has the pie dish out now also evaporating)
Whoa, why did you add the drained naphtha to the pie dish?

Dankone said:
there were tiny oil like spots in the bottom of the jar.
I thought you said they were snow globes, as Noman puts it?

Dankone said:
After leaving the jar out for about 30 minutes, the oil spots are looking to be becoming solid, but they don't really look like crystals... plus they are very tiny spots and SWIM doesn't see how it would be enough to scrape off...
I've never seen this happen. Is it possible for you to upload a picture?
It sounds like your freezer's temperature is not low enough to precipitate all the dmt out of the naphtha, the jar had been in the freezer for at least 24 hours hadn't it?

Dankone said:
I thought i was to have my freezer on the highest setting? That's what i put my freezer to.
Higher temperature = warmer.
Unless you mean a higher cold temperature, in which case yes, as cold as it can be.

Dankone said:
What i guess SWIM gonna do from here is try to scrape whats in the 8 oz jar, because i figure what's in there isn't enough to really salvage with naptha, and just see what comes out of the pie dish once it's done evaporating, and then set that in the freezer.

and then... i don't know

See what happens when you try freeze precipitating the dish again.
You could always just straight evaporate it, then you could simply wash it afterwards if you felt the need to.

tolu said:
Dankone said:
As soon as SWIM took the jar out of the freezer, he drained the naphtha away. after he drained the naptha away and added it to the other naphtha in the pie dish (SWIM has the pie dish out now also evaporating)
Whoa, why did you add the drained naphtha to the pie dish?

Dankone said:
there were tiny oil like spots in the bottom of the jar.
I thought you said they were snow globes, as Noman puts it?

Dankone said:
After leaving the jar out for about 30 minutes, the oil spots are looking to be becoming solid, but they don't really look like crystals... plus they are very tiny spots and SWIM doesn't see how it would be enough to scrape off...
I've never seen this happen. Is it possible for you to upload a picture?
It sounds like your freezer's temperature is not low enough to precipitate all the dmt out of the naphtha, the jar had been in the freezer for at least 24 hours hadn't it?

Dankone said:
Higher temperature = warmer.
Unless you mean a higher cold temperature, in which case yes, as cold as it can be.

Dankone said:

and then... i don't know

See what happens when you try freeze precipitating the dish again.
You could always just straight evaporate it, then you could simply wash it afterwards if you felt the need to.
Yes, SWIM added the drained naphtha to the pie dish... that was bad wasn't it ? :(

SWIM did say they were snowglobes inside the jar, when he took the jar out of the freezer to let dry, they turned into small oil spots, which then solidified into little yellowish patches. SWIM then took a piece of marijuana and swabbed the inside of the jar, since there wasn't enough to scrape and harvest.

I can't really upload a picture, because i can't get a good enough picture of the small spots on my camera phone. But yes, the jar was in the freezer for at least 24 hours.

And yea, that's what i meant "highest setting= highest Cold setting."

I'm pretty much just making this first try a learning experience, i'm really not expecting much spice out of this at all, but i did learn alot and hopefully i'll get it right next time.

maybe i'll use A/B next time.

Thanks anyways Tolu, you were a great help!

:)

No problem, there's nothing stopping this being a successful extraction though. (DMT is still there)
My friend didn't quite get it right till second till second time either, so you're not alone.
Not sure why you'd want to do an A/B instead though, since all that is, is another (unnecessary) step, which could only complicate things further.
However, some people prefer it and you may well too.

As for the drained naphtha, you wouldn't add it to the naphtha dish for freeze precipitation, since you've already used it.
What you do with it is add it back to the mhrb mix and do another pull.
The benefit of freeze precipitation is you can recycle your naphtha, by only pulling with the naphtha you're pouring from the jar/dish each time.

What SWIM does is feeze precips with naptha, then decants to reuse the naptha, and then adds acetone to redissolve the spice and then evaps the acetone (very small amount of acetone needed). Saves pissing about scraping and filtering crystals and having them redissolve on you when the naptha heats up.

geeg30 said:
What SWIM does is feeze precips with naptha, then decants to reuse the naptha, and then adds acetone to redissolve the spice and then evaps the acetone (very small amount of acetone needed). Saves pissing about scraping and filtering crystals and having them redissolve on you when the naptha heats up.
So you decant the naphtha like normal, then dissolve the DMT in acetone to avoid the naphtha that you decanted from redissolving it? :?:

That's about the gist of it,

Naptha for swim is quite expensive so using acetone (much cheaper) to evap is quite cost effective - in the sense of time and effective yeild. Swims spice usually sticks to the sides of the container when freeze preciping and swim can't be bothered scraping the crystals and trying to catch them in a filter - which usually absorbs some of the spice anyway. Then there is the problem of trying to decant quickly and dry the crystals before the naptha redissolves them so dissolving them in a small amount of acetone and evaping takes most of the hassle out of it plus any residual naptha evaps along with the acetone (the amount of water in the acetone is almost negligible in such small amounts so doesn't affect the evap so anhydrous acetone is not necessary)

Back
Top Bottom