• Members of the previous forum can retrieve their temporary password here, (login and check your PM).

Whats wrong with pseudoscience

Migrated topic.
lbeing789 said:
2012... I don't think it's anything at all to be interested in... nothing even remotely peaks my interest on the subject... any takers??? ;)
Please no takers anyone! The subject here is not about 2012! We have plenty of threads with the 2012 thing, so feel free to post your ideas there and not in a discussion about pseudoscience.

Thanks!

Fakkz said:
Oh the irony, burnt's thread turning into 2012 theorys.

Love it

EDIT: beaten to it.
Yes, irony can be funny at times.:?

It was not realy my intention to start a 2012 discussion. It was more an example of how genuine scientific facts, in this case the flipping of the poles of the sun and the earth, are being misused by new-age types.

If a pole shift on earth is eminent, that must be put in the perspective of the time period we're talking about, wich means it might happen in the next few centuries. So it could be tomorow or 500 years from now.

The solar cycles are way shorter. I find the idea that ancient cultures knew about this not that unlikely, since it would only require that people would keep date of relatively warm periods followed by relatively cooler periods for a longer period of time, that would allow for corrections of accidental extremes. Cultures that are highly dependant on agriculture could benefit from such knowledge.

Ofcourse correct knowledge of astronomy was often paired with all kinds of belief.
Point is that there are plenty of ancient cultures that had great knowledge on astronomy (thales, the first of the greek philosophers, for instance, is known to have predicted a solar eclips around 500 bc) and there are many monuments, like stonehenge, that remind us of this.
Studying this is serious science, but inevitably feeds the new-age industry as well.

You can always twist things in such a way, that some predicted event would be paired with the massive release of DMT through the pineal gland, wich would fulfill the celestial prophecy of us all tuning in to a different frequency, and yes i ended with this because of a childish love for irony

burnt said:
2012 definitely fits into the topic of really really bad pseudoscience.
Is there any good pseudoscience?

But once again, it realy wasn't my intention of turning this into a 2012 discussion.
It was just an example of how the new-age industry borrows themes from all branches of serious science to turn it into their own fantasy stories.

I would say that studying ancient cultures is serious science, yet walking into a bookstore to look for something about,let's say the egyptians, you will find books of this daniken dude and his UFO stories.

If you google 'van allen belt' you will find weird stuff as well, especially if you look at 'van allen belt conspiracy' wich is one of the immediate google suggestions.
You can do the same with LHC, haarp, tesla, and so on. (Although i believe, at the end of his life, tesla turned a little weird)

well I dont know about conspiracies involving tesla but he was definitely always an odd character. He was completely revolutionary, and he was not at all a standard scientist.For many projects he didnt make detailed plans in paper but rather had visions inside of his head of how they worked. He is one more of the good examples of how odd out of ordinary characters and ideas can actually bring incredibly important contributions to mankind.

Everything with a balance.. No loose-brain pseudoscience, but neither uptight constipated 'scientism'...

Fakkz said:
Oh the irony, burnt's thread turning into 2012 theorys.

Love it

EDIT: beaten to it.
This is to my opinion, thus far the very best contribution to the whole thread.
It's something everybody can agree on and irony is just such a fantastic thing.
Where would we be wothout irony?

Yep

Just sent our Dear long lost friend MOP a pm. Hes poping in tonight I was happy to see a old friend from "back in the day when things used to make sense"

Were you been Aya hero man its cool to lay low and comment ever now and then.

We arent like other boards on the net we never forsake a long lost brother

We welcome them:lol:
Just no 20post a day.!

Peace
and
Good to see you again ?

we still here on your side dear friend!......and a big.....:lol:

MV

Back
Top Bottom